question about POD cards

By elfmandude, in Death Angel

I was curious about the continuing availability of the print on demand card expansions.

the regular FFG stuff eventually gets sold out, then FFG has to print new editions which often take months. but what is the deal with the print on demand stuff? do they just keep printing the space hulk death angel expansions which will give them a constant supply? or are the print on demand stuff only a single run and then thats it..no more?

just wondering.

by the title i believe they print you a copy when u buy it which would explain a non exsitant case so they would never technically run out of a series but ffg never confirmed this so its not really worth anything just my analasis of the name

i asked customer service and they said they don't print the "print on demand" in house. they order from a printing company and its not a limited run so as long as people keep buying it, they will keep making them. so thats great to hear. happy.gif

anyhoo, i should be gettting my delivery of both expansions tomorrow. wooohoooo !!

by the way, customer service here at FFG is great. very fast response.

elfmandude, have you got your cards yet? Are they the same quality as the core set? If so, I may be tempted.

i have and im sorry to tell u no the orginal linen finish is gone replaced by a new finish that fells more like a plasticish paper

So they are like regular magic cards or worse?

What worries me is that if they lower the quality of their cards for all their games to allow them to make POD expansions. From what I heard, Mansions of Madness board game cards are thinner amd weaker than the ones from Arkham horror.

Irxson said:

What worries me is that if they lower the quality of their cards for all their games to allow them to make POD expansions. From what I heard, Mansions of Madness board game cards are thinner amd weaker than the ones from Arkham horror.

I wouldn't worry about it, as that seems very unlikely to happen.

The POD cards are indeed thinner (and thus probably weaker) than the non-POD cards, but if you read this thread closely, you'll find that normal Death Angel cards remain high-quality thick textured cards. It's just the POD expansion that's thinner and lighter. That's why people say you need to put them in card sleeves so you can't tell them apart on sight or by touch.

Similar statements can be found at the page on the Mansions of Madness POD expansion, where it specifically mentions that the POD cards are thinner and that the POD expansion includes reprints of some cards from the base game so that you can't tell by the backs of the cards which ones are from the expansion.

Every indication is that FFG expects the POD expansions to be thinner stock than the normal cards, and is _not_ changing existing (or future) games to match the POD. Since the POD is not done by their normal printer, it may even be that they couldn't match the thickness or texture even if they wanted to.

The whole point of the POD is to cut costs and risks on mini-expansions, so that they can print things that would otherwise never see print because they'd be too expensive (or not sell enough copies). Given the choice between a micro-expansion either being on thinner cardstock, or not existing at all, I'd choose the lighter cards.

r_b_bergstrom said:

Every indication is that FFG expects the POD expansions to be thinner stock than the normal cards, and is _not_ changing existing (or future) games to match the POD. Since the POD is not done by their normal printer, it may even be that they couldn't match the thickness or texture even if they wanted to.

The whole point of the POD is to cut costs and risks on mini-expansions, so that they can print things that would otherwise never see print because they'd be too expensive (or not sell enough copies). Given the choice between a micro-expansion either being on thinner cardstock, or not existing at all, I'd choose the lighter cards.