Flukey Scenario 10 success 2 players

By tamsyn, in Arkham Horror League

Amazingly we won with scenario ten on our first attempt, but better than that Mandy and Joe have survived from the first scenario to the last!

We won by closing gates, and this was possible because out of the seven mythos cards we drew we only had 2 gates, the rest were monster surges, and we got Strange Waves Subside. Mandy managed to get the map to up her movement and disguise to avoid the monsters that were racking up as we were avoiding them and focusing on gates.

We won't be playing this one again, we're happy that we won and leave it at that. It's been a long, but enjoyable league!

You sure the Mythos deck wasn't fixed angel.gif ?

its not like you win anything for coming top so there is no reason to cheat. would somone who stacks the deck submit a score of 7 for scenario 3? :P In fact we might play that one againif we have the time, but it really was tough.

Congratulations! I imagine it must be very tough to win that scenario with just two investigators!

Unfortunately, I had to stop playing after scenario 6 since I don't have the Kingsport expansion. For me scenario 6 had been the only one I didn't win at first try - but I had been playing with investigators.

I had been quite lucky, too, since the second mythos card was the rumor where I had to sacrifice three spells to stop it - which I gladly did to keep Dexter Drake from becoming insane. After figuring out that the best strategy seemed to be spending a couple of rounds at the sanatorium trading sanity for clue markers it was actually quite easy. I only got a bit nervous when Act I started and I didn't want to risk putting two doom markers on the AO for fear of running out of time before sealing those six gates.

Anyway, being lucky sometimes is definitely part of the game!

we got that rumour as well in sc 10, but we just decided to ignore it. Mandy and Joe don't start with any spells and 5 rounds in the AOO would be only a couple of turns from waking, so no point really. In fact with 2 player games we ignore the rumours most of the time, unless they are going to be really crippling.

I don't think I've ever been to Kingsport (even though we have the board). Again, not worth it with 2.

Congrats on the win. We played this scenario twice, iirc, and the second time we barely scraped through with the win. I remember the Doom Track bouncing back and forth between 12 and 13 for some time, and all of us taking as few chances as necessary to keep from accidently opening a gate.

I think what clinched it for us was that during the last three turns I pulled the Science Building encounter that if successful I could look at the top three Mythos cards and if one of them matched an open gate we could automatically seal it. I burned a clue token and was successful, and one of the three cards matched the open gate at the Woods. That made 4 Sealed gates, the next turn a player came out and sealed gate 5. We had 5 sealed gates on the board and 1 open gate in Dunwich, which we sent Jacqueline Fine through (with a Find Gate spell). That turn for the Mythos card the gate matched the one open gate, so there was an 8 monster surge. Thankfully, monsters ignore you the turn you come out of a gate, so Jacqui sucessfully cast her spell, and most of us used the passive abilities of locations so we didn't have to worry about accidently opening a new gate and kicing the Doom Track to 14. Talk about an intense, 4 hour game!

jhaelen said:

Anyway, being lucky sometimes is definitely part of the game!

It's not luck. It's skill. The skill of being lucky ;') what do you think those skill sliders are for?

Woah! Yesterday we finished scenario 10 with 2 investigators in our first attempt too...

Azathoth just needed one more doom token to open his eyes and we already sealed 5 gates...

When Lily Chen was in "The Underworld" she drew an encounter card that sent her immediately back to Arkham - so she could close and seal the last gate - Victory!!

Then we looked, which mythos card would have been the next: it was a gate...

Gosh, that was close!

Thanks to JR and FFG for this thrilling experience!!