How much are you allowed to lie? to tell? to deal about?

By corgrath, in Cosmic Encounter

Hey all.

I am new to Cosmic Encounter - bought the game around a week ago, and instantly bought both expansions, even though I have only played it once. Really looking forward to experience all the aliens with my friends :-)

However, my question is regarding how much you are "allowed" to lie or reveal? For example;

- Are you allowed to say or reveal what kind of cards you are holding for other players? or are they a secret? If they are a secret, I guess it's totally ok to bluff?

- Are you allowed to make any deals in the 1 minute negotiation time? For example, do the laundry for a week? or always become an ally for the next two defence encounters? or are you only allowed to make deals concerning creating colonies on each other planets or trade cards?

How much are you allowed to lie about? to reveal for other players? and deal about?

Thanks for any answers!

You can't show your cards to anyone. You can say whatever you like about them, though. Feel free to lie your tail off about them.

A successful deal, according to the rules, must involve a card or a colony being given. Any other clauses are non enforceable by the game, but feel free to include them if you enjoy them! Offering someone a colony for a week's laundry? Sure, go for it -- but the only thing binding the other guy is your relationship with them.

Thanks for the reply :-)

Correct me if I'm wrong (i.e. remembering an older version of the game), but I believe you also cannot lie about an offer in a deal. For instance, you couldn't say "I will trade you an Attack 40 for a colony" unless you actually have an Attack 40 in your hand.

I know future promises were part of deals in versions past. Is that no longer the case? I've always limited it to game-related deals, lasting until a maximum of the end of the game (no "I will do X in the next game we play").

Such promises have always been allowable but never enforceable. You can say that, but you are only giving your word on it. The game hears nothing.

Adam said:

Such promises have always been allowable but never enforceable. You can say that, but you are only giving your word on it. The game hears nothing.

This is correct, you can say whatever you want but may not actually show anything. I think the only thing that is enforced is the number of cards so if you say "I'll give you two cards for a colony" you must give two cards regardless of whether they are the ones you claimed them to be.

I don't think you should lie, but also all the information shouldn't be given out. There are many cards and abilities that rely on the honor system in this game and lying just ruins the effects. Don't lie and you can't show anyone your cards (unless of course the mind etc.). But honor system when it counts to trading cards should be used. However, you could say to your opponent that you will play a negotiate, when in fact you play an attack. That is part of the game, a great part. But if you are making a deal, or using a plague you can't cheat and not relinquish that card.

For a successful deal you have to either trade a card or a colony. Those are the only terms in a successful deal. But adding other requirements to that, well that's just better.

And you'll have a great time with the expansions. The rewards deck is a great add, and the hazard deck can cause a few interesting encounters. The best part of course is all the new aliens. Most of which are very fun to use! And extra players are always good, though a 7 player game can go a little too slow sometimes.

All I know is that if someone is brash enough to demand my most powerful cards, I have no qualms with lying my face off whilst I hand him a bunch of negotiates (possibly with a "0" as the icing on the cake). Then again my group is a buncha bastards so your honesty policies may vary gran_risa.gif