Petition to universal to make At the Mountains of Madness

By Richard U. Pickman, in Call of Cthulhu LCG

If you, like me, were extremely dissapointed when universal pulled the plug on this project please sign the petition to make the movie!

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/mountainsofmadness/

I'd say I was less upset about the announcement than I was about not hearing Word One about it until reading this post. Is there any link you could point me to that discusses Universal's decision to cancel the project?

Thanks in advance!

just do a google search, otherwise try imdb. apparently universal wanted a pg rating and del toro wanted to make a real horror movie and didnt want to compromise. which was the right decistion.

sorry about the lack of capital letters etc but this forum doesnt work well with my phone...

I'll never know how the same company that went ahead with Edgar Wright's Scott Pilgrim vs. the World pitch, knowing full well it would flop at the box office, could then deprive Wright's good friend Guillermo del Toro of the ability to make the surely more groundbreaking At the Mountain s of Madness . This deeply saddens my heart, and I will sign this petition.

yeah, its really sad that they pulled this movie though they spend millions of dollars making utter crap!

but it makes me glad that you decided to sign the petition. if enough people sign perhaps the studio will realize that the movie actually would make them some money!
so spread the word, the more that sign the better!

Signed, and past on to my Facebook friends.

MarthWMaster said:

I'll never know how the same company that went ahead with Edgar Wright's Scott Pilgrim vs. the World pitch, knowing full well it would flop at the box office, could then deprive Wright's good friend Guillermo del Toro of the ability to make the surely more groundbreaking At the Mountain s of Madness . This deeply saddens my heart, and I will sign this petition.

Thats the thing though. They expected Scott Pilgrim to do very well and it didn't. I have no idea why they expected it to do very well, but they honestly did.

Scott Pilgrim's success is directly attributed to why Universal pulled back their funding. The scoop on that is long and convoluted, but after the box office earnings for the big cash Pilgrim came back, AtMoM was yanked.

www.deadline.com/2011/03/qa-guillermo-del-toro-on-why-he-will-direct-pacific-rim-after-at-the-mountains-of-madness-fell-apart/

Even after it got pulled, Tom Cruise is still hopeful that it will be made.

But it does make one wonder how big box ffice draws like Del Torro, James Cameron, Tom Cruise, Ron Perlman associated with this project cannot get this movie made, then how the hell will it ever?

I was informed differently. I can't remember where I read the article anymore, but if I dig through my Facebook entries I might be able to find it. Basically the idea was that Universal gave the go-ahead for Scott Pilgrim despite knowing it wouldn't gross very much, because they wanted to be seen as favoring an innovative idea.

I didn't mean for the tone of my previous message to suggest that I thought it was a bad idea for them to make that movie, as I actually think it's one of the more necessary films to have come out in the last few years. But still, if I had to select from between the two I would have had them do At the Mountains of Madness instead, just because it would be a landmark event for horror films, a genre that could really use a defibrillation treatment now, and directed by two of the best minds that could possibly be chosen.

Well the thing is, Del Toro wants a budget of 150 million and a R rating.

Scott Pilgrim's production cost were 60 million and it has a pg 13 rating.

Ahzrab said:

Well the thing is, Del Toro wants a budget of 150 million and a R rating.

Scott Pilgrim's production cost were 60 million and it has a pg 13 rating.

will do , i am there !!!

Universal is stupid. While I don't feel AtMoM NEEDS an R rating to be good, nor to be faithful to the source, I trust del Toro to make a **** good flick. The concerns the suits cited (no women, no love interest, downer ending) are also true of The Thing, which, while not initially a big success (it had to compete with E.T. for frak's sake!), it's almost universally (no pun intended) recognized as being among the greatest horror films of all time.

Yeah, it was a real shame the plug got pulled. Here's hoping del Toro can pull the film from the ashes.