Shields, weapon qualities and munchkinsim

By Darth Smeg, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

I have a few questions about using shields in combat.

What would the effect of Best Quality be on a Shield? Shields are listed as melee weapons, and as such one could argue they get the +10 bonus to tests made to attack and add 1 to the Damage they inflict. But shields are Defensive and get a -10 penalty to attack anyway, and are rarely used for attacks, and the WS bonus does not apply to parries so it's kind of useless.

As some shields provide Cover or Armour Points, a player asked if it would not be better if the Craftsmanship modifiers were as for Armour in general, where Best armour weighs half the normal amount and increases the AP by 1.

The Hydraphur-pattern Suppression Shield from Ascension has a "lock- grips on the upper corners. These allow a character to fire one basic class weapon with one hand without penalty." Will this allow its wielder to fire a basic-weapon in melee? And if so, does the limitation of single shots still apply?

The Guard shield in IH provides 6 points of Cover, while the Suppression shield in Ascension provides +4AP. Does it make a mechanical difference wether the shield provides cover or APS?

Darth Smeg said:

I have a few questions about using shields in combat.

What would the effect of Best Quality be on a Shield? Shields are listed as melee weapons, and as such one could argue they get the +10 bonus to tests made to attack and add 1 to the Damage they inflict. But shields are Defensive and get a -10 penalty to attack anyway, and are rarely used for attacks, and the WS bonus does not apply to parries so it's kind of useless. As some shields provide Cover or Armour Points, a player asked if it would not be better if the Craftsmanship modifiers were as for Armour in general, where Best armour weighs half the normal amount and increases the AP by 1.

It would negate the penalty for being a defensive weapon for the Parrying-only shields, but I would rule that shields which provide Armour or Cover are treated as Armour for craftsmanship purposes.

Darth Smeg said:

The Hydraphur-pattern Suppression Shield from Ascension has a "lock- grips on the upper corners. These allow a character to fire one basic class weapon with one hand without penalty." Will this allow its wielder to fire a basic-weapon in melee? And if so, does the limitation of single shots still apply?

Darth Smeg said:

The Guard shield in IH provides 6 points of Cover, while the Suppression shield in Ascension provides +4AP. Does it make a mechanical difference wether the shield provides cover or APS?

Yeah, Bang bang is right.

the basic sheild I would say is a "weapon" and would get a bonus to weapon skill checks to attack, The other, wackyer, shields I'd count 'em as armour.

The locking grip doesn't change the weapon from basic to pistol, which is the only ranged weapon that may be used in close combat.

(although after seeing Suckerpunch I think a talent for basic weapons in melee is in order...)

I don't think the Cover/AP's should really have a mechanical difference. It's most likely a tense change from Black Industries to Fantasy Flight. Considering Both are technically location specific. But Raw says:

The supression shield is an armour bonus to the arm weilding it and the torso, reguardless of the angle of attack.

The Guard Shield provides "cover" which is always relative to the direction of the attack, and allows you to hide entirely behind it.

And both of them are radically different to the praesidium protectiva which requires you to be reciving attacks from the front or one side and only provides +8ap against successful parrys against ranged attacks. and otherwise functions as a weapon with the defensive quality.

Thanks for the input guys!

Now what would happen if you were to dual wield those shields, eh? ;)

Not a new idea... ;)

109394.jpg

Actually, might be an interesting idea for a new servitor type. :P