Historical Accuracy?

By Cabello, in Deadwood

Hmmmm, sounds like fun. Though I am curious as to whether we will be able to bring those historical figures to bear.

Sounds interesting, although I honestly can't read the name and not think of the Cheapass classic board game.

I was actually excited for a moment and thought FFG was publishing a fancy-pants version until I read the article.

Ian McShane (language) expansion for matching the TV show partido_risa.gif ?

It seems obvious to me, with just the info at hand, that the only thing this has to do with the Deadwood is that it has the name Deadwood. Deadwood was first, and for most, a mining town. Without this, the game appears to be just a shoot 'em up with complexity.

From the artwork alone, I don't think it could be too historically accurate. I have really high hopes for it, however. I love the HBO show and the old west cowboy theme has not been translated into games very well. Carson City is decent, but any theme could apply to the game mechanics.

To the OPs original question, I don't think it will be any kind of historical recreation. It looks more to me like a worker placement/ resource kind of game with some direct conflict and stealing. It certainly could be fun. I look forward to hearing more about the game.

As an aside, a Tannhauser-like Wild West gunfighting kind of game could be great.

I just noticed it's a Silver Line game, too. At $34.95 MSRP that's pretty cheap for a game these days.

This one actually looks interesting enough for me to want to try it, and I'm not a fan of westerns. Still, if a game is fun I don't normally worry about the setting, and I like what I've read of the mechanics.

I don't see it as being true to history, more thematic than anything else.

Perhaps it's too late, but would definitely buy this if it was linked to/influenced by the HBO series.