Resource Ability

By neon666, in Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game

hy there,

i have a little question.

if i am in city management and want to use the resource ability have i still a normal action like bouild a wonder for example?

im pritty shure that it is like this, but never found the exact roul.

thanks for clearing awnsers

gruzzz neon

As far as I understand, yes you are correct. The bonus actions granted by technologies that can be used in the City Management Phase should not replace your normal City Management Action.

Yes you can! Atleast thats the way we play the game :)

So, if I am understanding this right, Americans can spend their City Management action to Harvest a Resource of incense. Since they haven't progressed to the Movement phase, then can then spend that incense and get 3 Culture Tokens from the Currency tech card. This is how I've been playing it at least.

Yes, you can do as many actions during each phase as you have the resources to as long as you do not use a tech resource ability more than once (in the previous example, you could not use the resource ability of the Currency tech twice, even if you have 2 wheat available). However, you can use multiple techs at once. If you have 2 wheat available and you have 2 Techs allow you to trade wheat for culture, then you could trade both wheat in for culture. Then you could spend all that culture to go up multiple times on the Culture track. Just remember, that you have to resolve each step on the Culture track before going to the next. This is important mainly for the Culture Hand Limit size. If you hand limit is 2 (and you currently have 2 cards in your hand) and you go up twice on the track and gain 2 cards, you have to pick 1 card, then discard 1, then draw your 2nd card and then discard 1. You can't draw 2 then discard 2.

neon666 said:

hy there,

i have a little question.

if i am in city management and want to use the resource ability have i still a normal action like bouild a wonder for example?

im pritty shure that it is like this, but never found the exact roul.

thanks for clearing awnsers

gruzzz neon

I guess I'm reading your question differently than the others that responded so far.

I believe the others are reading your question with the following assumptions: Certain Technologies and Culture Cards have action that occur during the the City Management Phase... These Actions DO NOT IMPACT your City or Capital's ability to take it's action.

However, and this is where I differ from them, if your city takes a "Harvest Resource" action, I do not believe it is allowed to take a "Build" Action or "Culture" action that same turn. If you take a "Harvest Resource" Action, you can apply that Resource to the Actions granted by the Tech or Culture Cards, if they apply, and a Resource gained from your Capital, can be used to take an Action with a Tech or Culture Card as it would apply to another one of your cities.

For example, If you have the Construction Tech, you can "Harvest" a Grain at one city, and use that grain to Add 4 Production (granted by Construction) to the Build of another City. However, the Grain cannot be used by the same city that Harvested it during the same turn it was 'gleaned' from the fields because you cannot take a Build Action and a Harvest Action in the same turn at the same city...

Is that how the rest of the readers interpret it?

Well, that's not really how I read the question. The rule book is very clear that each "City" gets one action per turn, whether building a building or unit, harvesting a resource or devoting to the arts. What it sounds like he was asking was if you use a resource ability from a tech, do you also get to do your action for that city. What I was saying was that resource abilities are not an "action". You can use the resource abilities of all your techs "once" during your turn. It's just when you can use that resource ability. If you have 3 techs that say "City Management", and you have the resources available, you can use all three during the City Management. Here's an example:

I have 2 cities and currently have 1 incense resource in my reserves. I also have unlocked the following techs Currency (Incense: Gain 3 Culture) , Chivalry (Incense: Gain 5 Culture) and Metal Casting (Incense: gain 7 Culture). Also, I am on on the second mark on the culture track and have 2 Culture cards in my hand. It's now my turn to do the City Management phase.

I have Incense available to harvest in both my cities. I do that and now have 3 Incense available to me. So I use all three to use all three techs to end up with a total of 15 Culture (assuming I had none to start with). Now, it's still my city management phase, so I decide to spend all my Culture to move on the track. I spend 3 and move 1 spot to the Great Person mark. I get my random great person and place him on a legal spot on the outskirts of one of my cities. I spend 3 more, go up a mark and get a Culture card. Then I have to discard a culture card immediately (unless I was able to use one before I went up on the track). That leaves me 9 culture. Let's assume I still can't play a culture card (they are all "Start of Turn" culture cards). So I spend 3 more culture to go up another mark, get another card and immediately discard one (even if I drew a Culture card that allowed me to play it during the City Management phase, I would have to discard first before playing it). So, let's say I did draw a "City Management" culture card. I would discard a card (likely one of my "Start of Turn" cards) and then I could play the "City Management" card. Now I am down to 1 culture card and I have 6 culture left). So I spend 3 culture to go up a mark and draw another culture card. Since that gives me 2 cards I don't have to discard. If I drew another "City management" culture card (or an "Anytime" culture card), I could play it. Let's say it was another "Start of Turn" culture card). I have 3 culture left. I spend it and go up again on the culture track to the Random Great Person. I draw a Great Person and place him in another legal spot near one of my cities.

And, I'm done. I've spent all my culture and went up 5 spots on the culture track (next time I try to go up will move me into the Culture Event 2 so it will cost 5 Culture and 3 Trade to go up). So, while you only get 1 "City Action" per City, per turn. You can actually take several actions during the "City Management" phase.