New Players with Questions?

By Viewtiful_Joe, in Universal Fighting System

Leading on from answering the questions posed by a couple of newer players in the 'UFS vs. Other Card Games' thread, I thought it would be nice to have a thread based on just that; helping new players to be integrated into the great game of UFS. So while this isn't a rules thread (you've got the rules forums for questions on that), I want to help people to find their calling in UFS whether it be style of play or character, or pretty much anything. So if anybody has any questions about who they want to run, or who would be suitable for their style of play, I can try to help you as much as I can. Although the things I say are merely suggestions, they aren't set in stone 'you must run this deck' advice, the idea is that you almost come up with the ideas yourselves. For example, if you've played CCG's before, you can do whats been posted before and state how you liked playing those games; control, aggro, combo etc. or if you're a fan of the games themselves, you can post the characters you like and I'll try and help you to find the best way to run those characters. Above all else, all I really want is to help more people to enjoy this game and become a part of this awesome community.

Hope I can help! ;)

Joe

Hi people ^^

I don't know if I can ask those things here, but I didn't find any other information about my issue.

I'm from Brazil, found UFS some time ago and loved it. The cards are so cool and cheap too (Compared to Magic TG and others here in my country).

I want to know if Fantasy Flight ships his decks/boosters to others countries. I really want to buy some decks but I don't know if they ship for my country.

Thanks a lot!

Well in Yugioh I played only warrior-themed decks and loved to attack. But I'm a fan of MMA and thought I'd either make a MMA themed deck with characters like Olcadan or The Universal Fighter, themed around versatility (I don't know if either it's legal, I just like the fact that they could use various attacks). Also I played Guile alot in Street Fighter and I always owned folks with Maxi and Siegfried in Soul Calibur. A guy at the local hobby store gave me a Maxi character card and a Soryuju asset card. Sadly that's all I have UFS wise. (lol) Also I like to copy my oponent's moves (not their decks or cards, their moves! like mirror their moves like olcadan or Unknown from tekken tag).

Yes. all of the above are possible! There are two actions and one asset that copies one's opponent's attack and sends it back at them. Turn About, Come to the Aid (not standard legal in about a month, but whatever) and Seal of Dousing.

Olcadon is not legal, but as far as versitility goes, one can accomplish that without use of copy cat characters. One can be VERY diverse with many different characters.

Many Guile's are 'control' oriented, but i'm sure there are several builds that feature him kicking butt aggresively. Maxi has been much disregarded, but I've seen some rather aggresive things done with one of the older ones.

What's MMA? If its a YuGi term, not everyone here is going to know what that means...

MMA stands for Mixed Martial Arts. Those are the cage fights they be showing all of the time. Some look down on it but It's actually a very tactical sport. That's why my play style is somewhat tactical. I'm usually aggro, I'd swarm with white creatures in Magic The Gathering and beatdown my opponent and I just beatdown my opponents in Yugioh!. In Chaotic, I'm more control though and I want to be tactical and aggressive at the same time. I think I'll go with the Guile control though, that or I'll tough it out with Maxi. It's sad to had about Olcadan though. Is The Universal Fighter still legal? gran_risa.gif

The way Infinite as a resource for character's goes, you PICK ONE when it comes in to play or is being played, and INFINITE is that resource. So Universal fighter is basically just a 6 hand 30 vitality guy with one resource and no ability.

There are 6 hand size guys with 3 resources to pick from and try to chain with, AND have abilities these days, so I recommend something... not 'the universal fighter'.

If you want the diversity of playing with multiple resources in one deck, just pick a character that has some capacity to clear one's card pool. Perhaps something like the newer Seong Mina. Her ability lets you take a card from your card pool and add it to your hand once per turn. That is a huge effect, which could let you go from what might appear as a string of Chaos attacks, to a string of Water attacks.

Really any character with a smallish amount of card draw power or access to it, and/or a way to clear cards from one's card pool could easily run a deck chaining more than one resource, which may or may not put one's opponent off guard...

Ok, thank you for the tip. I'll see what I can collect at the local hobby store and put together. Once again thanks a million for the info.

Where are you from? Might be we could direct you to a playgroup? Or are yu already playing with peoples... WHERE YOU AT! :)

I'm just wondering what the rarity symbols are. I see some dots beside the card number, is that it?

Yep. one dot common, two uncommon, three rare (or a card fixed two to a starter) and four dots the epic ULTRA (or is it super?) rare.

Hopefully they'll switch to just C U R and UR in this next set or something.. those dots give me a headache sometiems. :)

I'm from Ohio. I know some of the local players there. Actually the local hobbystore has Yugioh and UFS tournaments simultaneously so I tend to meet UFS players there while I play YGO. Thanks for the help but the guys there are willing to help me get started. They offered me help on getting started previously but I was too stuck on the YGO craze. But now that I've seen the awesomeness of this game, I'm gonna hook-up with the guys there and learn the rules and tourney play from them. Though we shared the same game room, the UFS side of the room had a much more comfortable feel than what the yugioh side was! When I ask the guys about the game they were overwhelmingly friendly when they told the game's rules and play style. Right on the spot, when I mentioned how I liked Maxi one of them practically threw me a Maxi character card and the nunchaku asset card to go with him. They even told me what boosters to get to get the deck started! That was a while back so I'll have to research more. Especially if I'm gonna run a Guile deck or some other badass starter.

Um... I'm from columbus Ohio... you? ... I play at the soldiery on Friday nights, and I will be starting appearances o Saturdays at The Soldiery for the next (not this) saturdays...

March 21st is our new player initiation free starter and boosters tournament... if you're in this area... Where you at?

Sadly, I'm from Dayton. Bell's book and comics and shrewmers are the only two hobby stores around here. Bell's throws tourneys on sundays for UFS and has various events for them.

Say hi to Matt Kohls, and all, UFS champions. I'll come see ya'll some sunday soon.

That's right Kohls is from Dayton isn't he? Or was it Cincinnati? I know he's from Ohio somewhere. A world champ of a ccg is within my state and right under my nose. They also said one of the top 5 YGO! Players live in Ohio too. Actually he's supposed to be one of the top guys at my local comic store. Ohio, home of the greater tcg players. (I'm kidding. It's just that I've notice a similarity, that's all. lol)

OK you need to get in touch with Matt. I'd assumed you played with Matt (from Dayton at Bell Book and Comics)... he runs the UFS events in Dayton, at what I thought was the only place in Dayton that the game was run... do you or dno't you play in Dayton with matt? !?! lol

I probably wouldn't know Matt if I saw him, so no I don't know him sadly. But I'm gonna ask next sunday if he's the one that runs UFS tourneys in dayton. It'd be cool to get my but handed to me by one of the best out there (lol).

vermillian said:

Here's a picutre of him. :)

http://www.twoheadeddragon.com/ufs/2006/scans/2006_01_02_Matt_Kohls.jpg

also that website is a good source for looking for cards, though cool stuff inc is more up to date.

if he IS the scout that runs tourneys there...he better have that little monkey with him

Face is very familiar but I can't say he had that body, of course though I'm not sure. But before we get too far off subject I have another noob question. Has anyone tried the Trade-up promotion deal yet? If so how long does it takes for you to get your deck? Also, what series did it come from?

Charitsune said:

Has anyone tried the Trade-up promotion deal yet? If so how long does it takes for you to get your deck? Also, what series did it come from?

Starters are from Set 8 Cutting Edge (Snk) and Domination (Street Fighter)

Smazzurco said:

vermillian said:

Here's a picutre of him. :)

http://www.twoheadeddragon.com/ufs/2006/scans/2006_01_02_Matt_Kohls.jpg

also that website is a good source for looking for cards, though cool stuff inc is more up to date.

if he IS the scout that runs tourneys there...he better have that little monkey with him

I didn't see the monkey but I did meet the former champ. Cool guy. He and the other players at my local store gave me a few tips on getting started, like the upcoming pre-release for SF coming out. Oh and I got to see Kohls' card. Badass art. I coulnd't exactly find a sakura deck or didn't have enough cash for a Guile deck so I bought a Terry Bogart starter. I know it's out of rotation but it like the playstyle though. Perhaps I'll upgrade later on with up to date cards. I'm just shocked by the small amount of players around me though. As great as this game is a lot of former tcg players (I mean the honorable bunch) aren't playing this game. I was slightly turned off by the rotation thing but I feel that I'd upgrade my deck constantly so I wouldn't worry about it.

So... we got any Oklahoma City players around here? :)

Also, how hard are promos to come by? While I don't think I can afford to be a 'suitcase' player as I was in my previous game (sigh), I do hate it when key cards are promos that are almost impossible to get. UFS seems to be pretty available and accessible, which is a good thing...

Oh, and what's the Ultra/Super Rare rarity? Number per box, are there hotpacks, etc.

More as I think of it, no doubt, thanks in advance guys!

CREED

when an attack is partially blocked is it for half damage?

You are correct. Partial block reduce damages by half.