New card backs- merely a way to make them domains?

By Hastur, in CoC General Discussion

I noticed that when the Core Set was opened there were no domains included. I was puzzled, but upon scanning the rules noted that they advised just picking some unused cards to double as domains.

Please someone tell me that we did not go through this whole "new card backs" annoyance and controversy just so FFG could avoid printing 6 double-sided domain cards.

It's a minor thing I realize, and I'm just going to fish out some old domain cards, but come on. Even if that wasn't the point, could we not make some domain cards to go with our brand new Cthulhu domain-draining tokens?

I noticed that as well. Dissapointing considering the size of the box that FFG didn't drop 6 of the old domain markers in there.

Considering that the old backsides worked perfectly as domains, I have to believe this was not the reason to change them.

The Last Conformist said:

Considering that the old backsides worked perfectly as domains, I have to believe this was not the reason to change them.

To be honest, it didn't occur to me either, until a new player mentioned how the card backs looked like domains. For a new player to mention that, it really struck me.

It might as well be: what's the exact number of cards in the core set (stories and everything else included)?

Still, if 6 more cards where included, I'd rather have 6 more actual cards instead of domains... So, the problem would persist infinitly (well, at least until the box contains 3 or 4x all the cards in excistence...

Marius said:

Still, if 6 more cards where included, I'd rather have 6 more actual cards instead of domains... So, the problem would persist infinitly (well, at least until the box contains 3 or 4x all the cards in excistence...

Well, I think we know that wasn't going to happen. But the idea of draining a domain is a central mechanic to the game and merits its own cards.

I mean, we had drain tokens (nicely sculpted Cthulhus), wound and success markers, a board on which to place story cards and the success and wound markers. Then they came to domains and said: Eh, just turn over three cards you aren't using.

It doesn't seem right. Plus, I really liked the double-sided cards with art from the story cards that they used previously.

Oh well, much like Steve Clarney, nothing much we can do about it. Except use old domain cards from previous sets (Don't try using old Steve Clarneys- it will only confuse everyone!)

I think the new core is superb. Excellent. Beautiful. Surprising. The box is a stunner. There is much to discuss, the packaging, the huge glossy rule book. And one tiny little thing more...THE CARDS !!! it's a new release. New. Exciting. Different. With the changes, all of them, it is a distinct new set. I look forward to debate on the merits of all the differences, all the changes, all the implications. I have much more to write in general.

But on this subject, where the heck are the domains? I forgot to ask. But you're right. Financial limitations are a fine reason. But plastic versions of the old stone would have been grand. Six more domain cards is far more realistic to have expected. New triptych domains add something to a new set, another subtle monicre, indication, emblem, aspect. The domains are also collectible. The many choices of three are always fun to decide between. It's mood and artwork and another way to customize.

The three-D green plastic chunks of cthulhu I would replace with more two dimensional plastic domains or card stock domains. But for me it's mostly about the great cards we did get. I am highly impressed.

What do these new cards mean? Anthropology Advisor went from great to better. New Forest Sister does what for Shub, etc. New Torch the Joint, as Bard basically exclaimed, becomes the only agency resource destruction to choose. Some classic agency cards are now out. Name them.

Marius' point about making these all out newer cards is well taken. But I disagree. Would have been great, but "wasn't in the cards." The concern about confusion between versions of these changed (basically new) cards I counter that we can handle it. We think of them as distint different cards. That's the point about how great this is. It's new and different and changes things. Is anything wrecked or lessened? Nah. Cards got a bump. The desire to buy three cores got a bump. Old stalwarts or taken for granted cards get a new look. Old decks get some juice.

And if you don't like the new Clarney I don't get the stress. There's the old MU Clarney in your collection. Play it. Play the two together or don't. Choose uses for blue Clarney or don't. I think it's wicked cool. If there were no MU Clarney, well sure, that would be a sad less tough less willpower MU world. He's the first of his kind and radical! I wish Donald were right that it was intentional and Nate had not divulged. Either way, there the two Clarneys are. Very interesting, like so much else with core.

I am much less wrought up about the Core Set and only mildly satisfied so

I'm not gonna be throwin' any pep rallies over it but it's all we got and despite it

I'll do my best to recruit and grow the game at my store. gui%C3%B1o.gif

since they plan on having story arcs or something with the asylum packs, the julia thing, maybe they could include one domain card in each set. so you have to collect 3 sets in a row to have the full picture or something. sure we would lose one playable card, but honestly not all 20 cards are great anyways. dont print one of them and instead add a domain card. maybe every other chapter run include 3 domains or something......

I would not sacrifice one game card for a domain, myself. Rather, I suggest an AP with 23 cards, 3 of them domains. Even still, then give us 23 game cards.

I am "wrought" because this is my game. Every release to me is important. I fully respect that others who play multiple games, or are less obsessed for any other reason, or legitimately are more critical of core, or are cool enough to own a game store, see it different.

johnny shoes said:

I am "wrought" because this is my game. Every release to me is important. I fully respect that others who play multiple games, or are less obsessed for any other reason, or legitimately are more critical of core, or are cool enough to own a game store, see it different.

It was not my intention to belittle your enthusiasum for the Core Set but only to express

my lack there of and to communicate my sincere desire to support our game despite

any limitations. There is really no need to defend or explain your fervor for I also share

your passion for the game. It seems that it might be pretty cool to own a game store?

I bet it takes alot of dedication and hard work as well though.

It's probably best that I'm just a Servitor at a game store. happy.gif

Just having a fun time hybrid. Keep up the great Servitor work.