Q about allies.

By Wuytackc, in Runebound

Hello,

Yesterday we played the game and a friend of me bought an ally "Rune Seeker" with ability : " may take 1 fatigue to cancel 1 life inflicted on your hero of an ally".

We played it this way : a creature did 3 damage on my friends character, so he canceled 2 damage (by taking 2 fatigues on ally) and one damage on hero.

IS THIS THE CORRECT WAY TO PLAY THE ABILITY ?

And where can i find it to prove it to my friends (rulebook, errata, faq ???)

Thank you very much for your time,

christophe

FAQ, p. 1:

"A card may be used multiple times for the same effect unless the card states otherwise."

Yeah, Dam nailed it.

Typically you can keep spending fatigue until it's gone. But like the rules say... unless the card says otherwise.

As I recall, some of the cards that "state otherwise" are annoyingly vague about how they state this fact. I forget where the bulk of the examples to clarify this question came from, but hopefully it was from the official FAQ.

This is a good question, for the wording on that card when interpreted literally would mean...

The Ally may take only 1 Fatigue to cancel 1 Wound per instance of use. Since it has no clause indicating a numeric limit on instances, use by repeated instances appears to be allowed, though repeated uses within a single instance of use are not allow based on the numeric specification within the wording/clause. It does not say take 1 Fatigue per Wound to be canceled (I assume).

These type of rhetorical quandaries pop up a lot in games... or at least the ones I've played. Even the FAQ isn't clear, since it doesn't specify if "times" refers to reuse within an instance of use or multiple instances as separate reuses. Then again, it could also be that I'm entrenched with a lot of people / players who have to deal with issues of language and rhetorical logic too much.

A lot of game companies really need to hire an editor who specifically understands rhetoric. But overall I'd agree it can be used whenever and as often as one likes.

You are not alone there, JC. A lot of playing time in our group is wasted (invested..?!?!?) when playing runebound, talisman, and others. Especially in the beginning when the rules are new and encounters unknown.

We usually try to find a common logic together. If not, we usually hit the forums or the FAQ. That helps alot, but still..

Thing is.. Starting out to play a new boardgame always make me wonder how much fuzz will show up. It makes it hard time the actual duration of a game, and sadly all these discussions aren't that fun.. If there is a possibility to hire an editor for the rhetoric part of card development I'm sure it wont hurt... It can't become worse, can it ;)

SC