Vanaheim on full auto

By SSJDeathLord, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

The Skitarii Vanaheim-Pattern Assault Shotgun on page 134 of the inquisitors handbook has a full-auto Rof and the Scatter Special, how would I resolve this firing on full auto, say I've got a BS of 40, and firing it full auto gives me +20, fora a total of 60, I roll a 20, does that mean I hit with 4 shells and each scatters twice? That'd mean I get 8d10+4 damage, that's alot of damage for only 300 thrones.

Pretty much.

Remember that you need to be within point-blank range for scatter to work. But as I remember it (it was in the errata I think, although the example might have been semi-auto), you get an extra hit from full-auto for every degree of success, and if you're at point blank range then you will also get an extra hit for every two degrees from success. That means you get lots and lots of hits.

It is a lot of damage, but you do have to get within point-blank to use it.

But at long range you start to find your weapon is a little less effective.

Thanks a bunch. As far as the range goes it's not a big deal, I'm playing sniper in this campaign so it's just a back-up in case things go terribly wrong. Just as an after-thought, are there any non-heavy weapons that are good for long-range? I'm using a long laz currently but unless I get really lucky I'm not gonna be doing squat to daemons, I know there's a bolt-rifle that's highly illegal, but we've got a really strict arbiter in the party.

Well, there is always the Nomad, which does brutal amounts of damage. Also, keep in mind that anything with the accurate quality has the potential to be deadly as sin. Those extra two dice for aimed shots are absolutely invaluable, and really make the sniping weapons worthwhile now.

I thought accurate only added +10 to BS when you aimed. Is the damage increase in the errata?

Wow, just took a gander at the errata and it changes alot more than I thought it would. Should've been smart enough to look at it sooner. Thanks for all your help!

SSJDeathLord said:

The Skitarii Vanaheim-Pattern Assault Shotgun on page 134 of the inquisitors handbook has a full-auto Rof and the Scatter Special, how would I resolve this firing on full auto, say I've got a BS of 40, and firing it full auto gives me +20, fora a total of 60, I roll a 20, does that mean I hit with 4 shells and each scatters twice? That'd mean I get 8d10+4 damage, that's alot of damage for only 300 thrones.

I believe with the example above, you would actually get more damage than you stated, but it is not as powerful as it seems.

With the shotgun in point blank, you get +30 to hit and for firing full auto, you get +20 to hit. So for your BS 40 listed above, you would actually be +50 to hit giving you an effective BS of 90. If you were to roll a 20, that would give you 7 degrees of success. I dont recall off the top of my head how many bullets a vanaheim shoots on full auto, but lets assume 6.

So 6 bullets would hit your target. Now, with scatter, that gives +1 hit per 2 degrees of success each bullet. So using the above example of 7 degrees of success that gives you 3 extra hits per bullet for a total of 4 hits per bullet.

That is 24 d10 +4s. However each d10+4 gets a chance to be absorbed by armor + toughness. So you do not roll 24d10 and add 4 then subtract toughness and armor. You roll 1d10+4, subtract armor+toughness, then repeat 23 more times. It sounds devestating, but if you are fighting something with armor 6 and a toughness 4, you do damage on a roll of 7+. Someone with power armor and a high toughness can shrug almost all the shots off.

The best part about the shotguns and scatter is you can assign the bullets to multiple targets within 2meters. So you fire point blank into some gangers in flak jackets and split the shots between several people mowing them all down.

Smokes said:

The best part about the shotguns and scatter is you can assign the bullets to multiple targets within 2meters. So you fire point blank into some gangers in flak jackets and split the shots between several people mowing them all down.

Just think about having to clean that mess up!

If you read the fluff that Vanaheim comes with a built in laser sight. Which is steal at 300 thrones...

Smokes, you have made a wee mistake in your understanding of Scatter.

You don't get the extra hits for Scatter for each bullet, you only get the extra hits once.

So with a starting BS of 40, +20 for Full Auto and +30 for Point Blank, making a total of 90, and rolling 20 to get 7 degrees of success, the results would be:

6 hits for Full Auto (1 per degree of success, up to weapon's fire rate, which is 6).

3 hits for scatter (1 per 2 degrees of success).

Which adds together for a total of 9 hits.

As I understand it, Savage is correct. My Arbiter has a Vanaheim and that is exactly how we have been playing it. The best part is when you roll all them dice and score a couple of Emperor's Furies :)

Hmm that is how I was originally playing it but saw it posted on the old boards that the scatter was per bullet. Ill double check and see if I can find it :)

Smokes said:

Hmm that is how I was originally playing it but saw it posted on the old boards that the scatter was per bullet. Ill double check and see if I can find it :)

seems unlikely, if so a single shotgun shot can't scatter

Page 11 of the errata

The Actions section starting on page 190 should
include a special note concerning combining semiauto
and full-auto fire with the Scatter quality,
which reads “When firing a semi- or full-auto burst
at point blank range with a weapon that has the
Scatter quality, the extra hits for rate of fire and
scatter are worked out separately and both applied.

For example, Horatius Kane fires his combat shotgun
at Heretic X. Kane is at point-blank range and
fires a semi-automatic burst. Kane rolls 01 with his
modified Ballistic Skill of 70 (30 BS, +30 for pointblank
range, +10 for firing semi-auto) and hits by
an amazing six degrees of success. He gets one hit
at 70, one hit for semi-automatic at 50, and a third
hit for semi-auto at 30 (he does not get a fourth hit

at 10, because the combat shotgun’s rate of fire is
3). He would get additional hits for scatter at 50, 30
and 10, for a total of 6 hits on Heretic X, most likely
shredding the cultist to bits in the Emperor’s name.”