combined fire

By BJaffe01, in Tide of Iron

Rather than rolling lots of 6 sided dice, which tend to get lost, fall off the board, and becomes really kind of funny to roll 24 dice or more using the original TOI CF rule (which I do not), there is an easier method that I have been experimentng with, which is using a single multi-sided die that matches the AF(attack factor) of the attacking unit. For Shermans: 8 sided die., PZ4 and M10: 10 sided die, Panther& Tiger I: 12 sided die, 88 flak gun and Tiger 11: 14 sided die.

Then keep all the DF (defense factors) of the units as fixed factors, no need for defender to roll dice, as the unit is guaranteed its defense factor. An attacking unit like a Sherman, would roll one 8 sided die and subtract the DF of the target and apply that result as the number of hits.

Range modifiers for Attackers die roll:

1. Half range: Add 2 to Attackers die roll

2. Close range (adjacent): Add 4 to Attackers die roll

For infantry squads: the standard die is a 4 sided die, which gets modified by MG and elite units, by adding +2 per MG figure, or +1 per elite unit in squad. So for example, a squad with one regular, one MG, and one elite would be a 4 sided die roll with +3 added to die roll result. A squad with 4 elite would add +4. 2 MGs on same base would add +4.

If you like the CF rule, select one unit as the lead unit, use the appropriate multi-side die that represents its AS, then add +1 per extra unit that participates with the lead unit to the die roll result. (this is Aussie Digger modification which works well with the regular TOI method too).

Terrain modifiers are applied as cover, as in regular TOI rule., except that woods, bldg, rough terrain,cover is just added to the units DF, becoming the new fixed DF value of the unit, while it is in that hex.

Additional Strategy or Operations card could allow for a unit to have a greater rate of fire than just one die roll/action. Regular=1, Veteran=2, Elite= 3 shots, ie. 3 multi-sided die, so an Elite unit could attack up to 3 separate targets, rolling one die on each, or may combine all on one target, rolling 3 dice on the same target.

As you can see, if using this modification concept, a single standard 75 mm gun Sherman is not going to be able to do anything to a Tiger 1 in woods hex, unless closing to half range, or better yet, close range. An M10, however, has a chance at normal range (but minimal), of scoring a hit on a Tiger I in a woods hex. At half range, the M10 has about a 33% chance, while the Sherman at half range, has the 20% probablity the M10 had at normal range.At close range, the M10 has 45% chance, while Sherman has 33% chance.

Damage results are applied as in regular TOI rules.

After all the options discussed, the easiest modification for CF is the +1 per unit participating, and maybe the limitation that all units must be in normal range, so you don't get lots of Crusaders firing long range at an 88 flak gun and eliminating it. Or lots of T34s firing long range at a Tiger.

As far as different multisided dice, its easier, but it causes a lot of wierd results to happen also and more rules, so guess rolling 6 sided dice is okay, if the +1/unit for CF is used, which generally will not be more than about 15 dice max rolled at one time.

For CF attacks on a heavy vehicle, only a heavy vehicle, and squads with an AT ability, or an AT gun with squad. should be eligible to attack from range. MGs, and other squads without AT speciality, and Halfracks should not be eligible unless they are adjacent to the heavy vehicle targeted. If the target is a light vehicle , squad, or AT gun, however, then any unit is eligible to participate with the lead unit., and at range up to their normal range.

No long range CF attacks allowed., unless with special operations card for artillery barrage maybe.

I am new to the game so I am just learning with a friend how to play. In the first scenario as the Germans I got frustrated because I did not seem to be doing that much damage. Yet I was assaulting the objective hexes on the 3 round with heavy losses and I quit in the fourth because I thought I had a flawed plan ( it was but not the way I was thinking). Then I read the post here and saw that I had done OK for a new player and that combined fire really wouldn't have helped. To make my point when I got to play the American in the same scenario I was able to stall my friends attack by putting squads in the trees. For 5 rounds he blasted the poor Bas...... with combined fire and I kept putting new units in. Every time I moved and fired I would pick off 1 guy here or one there and my entrenched units were working him over. I think however the best example would be 2 full squads in the same hex one with an officer, hit with suppressive fire. One squad was pinned but because of the officer could still make an attack. I could roll 4 halved due to pinned plus 4 halved for combined equals 4 firepower or 2 firepower and second action 4 firepower. More dice equals more chances for a result however more throws of the dice equal more chances for results.

Patton68: the biggest problem with the game is that the most of the scenarios in the base game are hopeless. I strongly recommend reading a review of the scenario BEFORE playing it.

Silence the guns is a well balanced fun scenario. Try that one and you will have a much better gaming experience. The difference is like heaven and hell :D