hero/ally combat question

By Schmiegel, in Runebound

Hello, I just dusted off Runebound and played it again and have a basic question... During combat, the hero ordinarily may attack one time and must defend on the other two phases of combat (i.e. attack on ranged, defend on melee and magic). If the hero has an ally, and for example that ally attacks during the melee phase (and the hero has already attacked in the ranged phase), does the hero still need to resolve a "defend" dice roll in the melee phase? Or does that ally's attack cover that particular phase and grant the hero "immunity" from having to defend during the melee phase, as it were? (Is the ally essentially subbing in for the hero during the melee phase, in this instance)? I hope this question makes sense. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Ally takes all the brunt during the phase it attacks. So if an Ally attacks in melee, Hero doesn't defend in melee.

Dam,

Thank you for the reply. Much appreciated!

Sometimes allies are like speed bumps. Throw 'em out there when you can't take another hit to buy some time. And occasionally they even pull a highly improbable success out!

Hehe, I know. Meatshield is their primary function, but in a recent game, Kirion Drake-Blood for example managed to hit Kelnov, the All-Father sorpresa.gif (20/5 across the board) instead of dying as was expected. Then again, Corbin Axebearer foddered I think 4-5 Allies by the time he had gotten two Dragon Runes in the last game, killing the second Dragonlord all by himself, having no Allies and no Items after getting knocked out by the Slumbering Dragonlord.

Good comments!

I completely agree. Allies are great MeatShields.
I'll happily buy a crappy ally because it's like an extra life.

I usually only attack with an Ally if I think a fail might knock out my Hero or if the Encounter does zero damage in that particular combat phase.