Horned Rat Expansion: Chaos Knife fight?

By bioball, in Chaos in the Old World

So am I correct in the the Skaven player will have:
1 Daemon
3 Warriors
11 Cultists

With the special ability of figures counting as corruption, I think the first god to feel the heat from the Skaven will be Tzeentch. Thrown in the bit about DATs added after dominating a region with a skavan token in it, I think with will make the Skaven player at least as agressive as Nurgle in the battle phase, if not second only to Khorne.

Anyone else agree? I too am worried about the balance of the base game, but the more I look at the sheet the more I think it will be another great god that will really stir the pot.

Finally!

Was waiting for that expansion like forever.

The Rat is awesome! Hope they balanced it so it can win with both VP and Dial. And also i hope that all other Gods will now have opportunity to win both ways. A least they say that Khorne played with a new deck is now more focused on VPs.

Anyways it's a bit early to say anything about Horned Rat. Much will depend on the cards, since most games depend on what cards you have in your hand.

Do you think any expansion would ever make this game play a little better if just using 2 players. I have had it for a while but have not played it yet. I liked the theme, board etc and knew I would have to modify it for only 2 players, my wife and me. I wonder with the Horned Rat if you could play one God against the Horned Rat or if the Horned Rat is specifically for a fifth player. Any ideas.

Drakson, how could we answer you?

we have just little (but very interesting) informations

it seems that this Skaven God is really aggressive. But will he have other way to win depending on his chaos cards?

Well it all depends on the cardssuch, but at the moment (and I mean at the moment) it seems Khorne is getting lots of good stuff, while Tzeentch is getting shafted (you can ask Slaanesh what this means).

We've played about 15 games of CitOWTzeentch has won ONE game. Even the Old World has won twice.

While I agree that the gods are all balanced - Tzeentch is always near winning but has so far fallen shortrun out of steam for some reason - Tzeentch seems to be the one that needs special attention (and please don't ask Slaanesh what this means) to be more competitive. Khorne has been doing A-OK in all of our games, while Nurgle is probably the most feared god.

Intriguingly, Khorne, NurgleSlaanesh are almost equal in their winning rates in our games. Despite all of our presuppositions"Nurgle wins every time" comments. I'm interested to see how the Horned God stirs the pot.

For some reason this board is swallowing some of what I type. Sorry for the gaps in the above post.

Can't wait to see the new Chaos cards, upgrades and new rules. While I find that new ruinous power obsolete, those new cards will surely fix issues concerning victory options for each god. I wonder how the new dial will be implemented; it could be just an additional square, placed next to the original board. Also notice that without expansion draws in threat level were impossible, which will be definitely changed with new dial(s).

Whitmire said:

Well it all depends on the cardssuch, but at the moment (and I mean at the moment) it seems Khorne is getting lots of good stuff, while Tzeentch is getting shafted (you can ask Slaanesh what this means).

We've played about 15 games of CitOWTzeentch has won ONE game. Even the Old World has won twice.

While I agree that the gods are all balanced - Tzeentch is always near winning but has so far fallen shortrun out of steam for some reason - Tzeentch seems to be the one that needs special attention (and please don't ask Slaanesh what this means) to be more competitive. Khorne has been doing A-OK in all of our games, while Nurgle is probably the most feared god.

Intriguingly, Khorne, NurgleSlaanesh are almost equal in their winning rates in our games. Despite all of our presuppositions"Nurgle wins every time" comments. I'm interested to see how the Horned God stirs the pot.

I think every group must play different, because in my groups games Tzeentch does quite welloften times scores a VP win. I think a big victory point tactic for Tzeentch is to upgrade the cultist to carry warpstones then start ruining regions almost at will (4 Cultist + 3/4 warpstones = 7/8 corruption) particularly when you combine it with the Chaos card that causes summonings to cost an extra 2 in that region.

What I think is going to happen with the Horned Rat is that TzeentchNurgle will have to start pulling out their warriors inorder to keep the skaven at bay, relaying on Khorne to be your rat catcher would only result in a dial-victory for the Blood God. Slannesh might also feel the heat because droping skaven tokens in regions with crowns will be very attractive.

Drakson said:

Do you think any expansion would ever make this game play a little better if just using 2 players. I have had it for a while but have not played it yet. I liked the theme, board etcknew I would have to modify it for only 2 players, my wifeme. I wonder with the Horned Rat if you could play one God against the Horned Ratif the Horned Rat is specifically for a fifth player. Any ideas.

I don't think the game was really designed to scale down that far. I am afraid its just not going to happen because most expansions I am sure will be balanced for 3-5 players. Maybe your local gaming store might have a few other players? I've actually had pretty good success teaching people who are non-gamers this gamethey enjoyed the brain work they had to do in it. You should try it out on another friend-couple you have.