OPEN TERRAIN - clarifications

By LETE, in Battles of Napoleon

Hiyas!

I was wondering what is classified as "open terrain":

Terrain with this specific descriptor only?

Any "open surface terrain (ie. a crest with only the edges being the elevation is also considered as being "open")"?

Thanks!

L

Hi Lete !

I'm not sure that I quit understand your comment but I believe that, as soon as your line of sight doesn't cross a crest hexside, you can consider it as open terrain.

Hi:

There are 2 "Open Terrain" hextypes in the game, one called:

Open Terrain;

the other called:

Ope n Terrain (with structures) - or something like that.

I was wondering, since the rules only state stuff for "Open Terrain" in general, is this a rule which affects either of the "open" terrains or just the "plain" Open Terrain.

Also, the Crest Terrain hex has some open terrain in it - I was wondering if this "open terrain" is classified as such, for rules purposes, instead of a Crest Terrain.

Thanks!

L

Hi !

My perception is : This type of terrain can be considered as Open if you don't consider the Crest hexside.

For example, a cavalry unit can charge along a crest without restriction, as soon as the charge movement doesn't cross the crest hexside.

Olivier

Olivier Rosseeuw said:

Hi !

My perception is : This type of terrain can be considered as Open if you don't consider the Crest hexside.

For example, a cavalry unit can charge along a crest without restriction, as soon as the charge movement doesn't cross the crest hexside.

Olivier

About the Crests, I've come to the following conclusion:

I believe, with these types of games, is " all or nothing;" so all the Crest-hex, even the "open" part of it, "blocks*" Cavalry Charges.

Alas!... I inquired this to FFG & Nexus, but no official answer has been forthcoming as of yet!

L

*ie., are impossible to do.

Open hexes are flat (even with a small house or some trees).

Woods, orchards, farms, villages, fortress, redoubts and the sandpit, are difficult terrain. Cavalry and artillery may not move throguh them.

HEXSIDE: Hedges, fences and crests. Cavalry and artillery can cross them.

Wall is a hexside, but cavalry and artillery cannot cross it.

Cavalry can charge through a hedge or crest but no inside a wood.

Sergio