Game of Cyvasse with ITE Arianne Martell

By JerusalemJones, in 2. AGoT Rules Discussion

If I play A Game of Cyvasse and kneel my ITE Arianne Martell, I can also trigger her standing ability, correct? She would kneel in Step 3, and trigger her Response effect in Step 5, iirc. This could be a nasty combo if I have Crown Regent or some other STR booster on her at the time.

ITE-Arianne is immune to triggered effects. You cannot choose or kneel her with the event's effect. So yeah, it would work that way in terms of timing, but you can't do it because of her immunity.

(Assuming you didn't just ignore the immunity completely, players don't choose and kneel their character "to" do anything, so it's not a cost.)

I'm so used to her (and Littlefinger) getting hit with Incognito, I guess I forgot about that part. I could always combo this with Den of the Wolf to make it work. I've learned, from being on the receiving end, that GoC is actually a much better card than I at first thought.

ktom said:

ITE-Arianne is immune to triggered effects. You cannot choose or kneel her with the event's effect. So yeah, it would work that way in terms of timing, but you can't do it because of her immunity.

(Assuming you didn't just ignore the immunity completely, players don't choose and kneel their character "to" do anything, so it's not a cost.)

So, if I get it right. You cant use her to pay any of the events cost? Never played it so it never occured to me.

No, I think you read my note to JJ backwards. To clarify, here's the cliff notes version of immunity:

When a card is immune to something, it cannot be targeted by or otherwise directly affected by that something. However, since immunity only extends to effects, the card CAN be used to pay the cost of that something.

Specifically with the ITE version of Arianne: She is immune to triggered effects. Therefore, she cannot be chosen as a target, knelt by or returned to hand by Game of Cyvasse (which is a triggered effect) unless some other effect also removes her immunity. However, she could be knelt to pay the cost of some other event that had a "kneel a Noble character" cost to it (like, say, Guilty!). Not knowing that JJ is so used to her immunity being removed by other effects that he had essentially forgotten about it, I commented that choosing/kneeling a character with an intrigue icon is an effect, not a cost, of Game of Cyvasse figuring (incorrectly) that that was where the confusion was coming from.

JJ - Might be easier to mix GoC with Vengeful. Takes a little more thought to pull off since timing becomes part of the combo, but Game of Cyvasse AFTER attackers have been declared? For your opponent's intrigue challenge? Unless you're focused on the LCG environment, how could anyone have thought this was merely an "okay-ish" card? Even in the LCG-League environment, it could be pretty good.

It was one of those cards that I looked at and said "Cool effect, but this could really backfire on me." I didn't think of the card all the way through -- after all, why would I want to play this card if I wasn't sure I could win the Cyvasse game. Then I played my LCG Bara deck against an LCG Martell deck, and Slio9 just wrecked havok with this card. Having seen it played, and realizing just what the card is capable of, I've been trying to come up with some nasty ways to work this. The Arianne/Crown Regent combo struck me as particularily nasty, but I had forgotten her Immunity. Nick-ler and Kal Viper pretty much always run Incognito now, and Den of the Wolf is finding its way into many other decks so even though I forgot about her immunity, there will still be plenty of times when I can pull this off.

Just because I've been playing this game for years doesn't mean I'm the smartest player on the block. Or even in Cambridge.