51. Riposting a swoop

By Corbon, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark FAQ Update Discussions

Background:
Riposte says: Play after a monster has attacked you with a melee attack. If able, you may immediately attack that monster. After your attack, the overlord resumes his turn as normal.
Soar/Swoop says: A soaring monster cannot normally be the target of a melee attack. However, monsters with Soar can choose to swoop down before attacking. If they do so, the extra range is negated until after the attack goes off, at which point the monster flies back up. Heroes may use interrupt attacks (even melee attacks, if in range) to attack a monster while it is swooping.
It is somewhat unclear what constitutes an interrupt attack that is applicable to attack a Swooping monster. Guard attacks, Counterattack and Backstab feat card attacks clearly interrupt the OL´s attack sequence, but does Riposte count as well, since it is played after an attack? (Alertness attacks may classify as well, but they are triggered when the Soaring monster enters an adjacent space, not when it is Swooping.)

Question:
Q. After a Soaring melee monster swoops down and attacks, what is the range/status of the monster at the time the feat card Riposte is playable?
A1. The Soaring monster´s extra range is not yet in force again by the time the card is played. Using Riposte the hero may attack the monster while he is still adjacent and ‘swooping’.
A2. The Soaring monster´s extra range is in force again by the time the card is played. Using Riposte, melee heroes may not attack the monster, ranged heroes may attack at range 5 as usual.

I'm pretty sure this FAQ will answer your question and many more.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/descent/faq/descentfaq%200309v1.3.pdf

But off the top of my head I'm pretty sure it states if a monster is swooping you may use a guard attack on him even if you are melee, you are simply making your interrupt after he swoops but before he attacks.

Wow! You're right! I don't know how the 60-something number of people who created and contribute to this sub-forum for discussing unresolved rules questions managed to miss this sweet gem!