Multiple re-rolls?

By Nightsorrow2, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

Greetings!

During our play sessions, I as a GM, have started to see a potential problem. Well, not a problem per say, but... Anywho... Here's the deal.

I have one player with the Iron Discipline talent (Others get to re-roll fear and pinning), and a player with the unshakable faith talent (re-roll fear). Does this mean he gets two re-rolls? This seems kinda powerfull, especially when you take into acount the players relative high willpower, plus a psyker with a penchant for inspiring aura (+20 to fear and pinning tests). They will almost never fail a fear test...

I want my players to go insane dammit! gui%C3%B1o.gif

Any thought or rule clarifications? Does multiple re-rolls "stack", or can you only get one per test?

WHile I couldn't find anything expressly stating yes or no, my instinct tells me that you only get one re roll. Generally things in the DH universe don't stack with each other, so I am inclined to say no. The player should only get one re-roll. Besides, correct me if I'm wrong but the rules say "Re-roll failed tests for fear and pinning..." NOT "re-roll failed RE-ROLLS for fear and pinning" :P

If you're feeling generous you can have redundant talents maybe give a small bonus, say +5 to the single re-roll? ;)

Clutch_Halthos said:

WHile I couldn't find anything expressly stating yes or no, my instinct tells me that you only get one re roll. Generally things in the DH universe don't stack with each other, so I am inclined to say no. The player should only get one re-roll. Besides, correct me if I'm wrong but the rules say "Re-roll failed tests for fear and pinning..." NOT "re-roll failed RE-ROLLS for fear and pinning" :P

Yes, but the initial re-roll is still a failed test. Ergo, it would qualify for a talent that indicates you may reroll a failed test.

Looking at everything I could find in the book, (which was pretty much nothing) I think it's legit.

If you are under the effects of Iron Discipline and you have Nerves of Steel, for example, you can re-roll twice. It lets you re-roll a failed test. and a failed re-roll is still a failed test.

Now if the wording was something along the lines of "failed roll" I might argue the other side. But remember this person testing is able to see someone who will punish them for deriliction of duty, and they already have nerves of steel; I'm thinking this person is not so easily pinned.

There's my two cents. Normally I'm a big spirit of the rules advocate. I don't see RAW in this case as "unspirited."

In general I agree with Elohiem. Re-rolls are rare enough that they aren't a game-changer, and they don't up the probability too drastically when the chance of success is fairly slim. Even Fear (2) causes a -10 to their roll. The math is a little awkward/overbearing so I'll keep it to approximations, but success on a 40 down goes something like 40% -> 64% -> 78% as you add rerolls. Notice that the second reroll didn't really add as much in the way of likelihood of success compared to the first one, only around 14%. So it's probably not game breaking. It has less of an impact than Inspiring Aura, anyway. These stats behave very unevenly as you change the chances of success, but whatever.

Decent approximation is: Chance of Success = 1 - (Chance of Failure)^n where n is the number of rolls they get, all percentages is decimal format.

If the characters have sunk that much preparation and XP into becoming Fear resistant, then let them. If you truly want them to start going insane ask yourself why. If you think it is for a good reason, then simply add non-Fear related Insanity point sources into the game. It's generally a good rule to make them choice-derived, however.

Good Example: You find a tome of heretical writing by an ex-Priest who began to preach of Corruption inherent in the Ecclesiarchy. The Acolytes have at least some knowledge that this is the subject of the work, but the Priest who wrote it was also once a personal friend of their Inquisitor. If a character chooses to read it, he gains some subtle IP. In lieu of a Fear Test, you at least allow the player to choose whether to act or not.

Might have been a bit to quick decision from me. We played last night, and though they generally cleared their fear roll, especially the psyker, they still managed to acumulate som insanity and corruption. However, most of the time, they walk around with inspiring aura on, so the regular fear checks are somewhere between 60-80%, and thats not counting resistance (fear), since none has it, yet.

But its true, seems it would be easier, and more fun, to instead ad other sources of insanity and corruption, rather then making fear more dangerous, since it succeded in rendering half the group helpless during the "main fight".

As a GM I think I would allow the effect to stack and give double re-rolls. This is because those abilities have been fairly bought, and because all other bonuses stack, but also because I know how horrible a debuff fear is on both players and their characters. I do generally not set up scenes just to have half the players sit around playing games on their mobile phones.

As a player I would insist on the double re-roll and work to set the group and characters up to have as many re-rolls as **** well possible. This is because I do not sit down to play a RPG in order to twiddle my thumbs and play games on my mobile phone.

"Fear tests" means "unexciting".

All good points ... especially concerning the effects of Fear. I guess characters who have multiple talents regarding this simply should be considered relatively hardened and thus deserve several rerolls. I've changed my opinion, then. Thanks for the input, all!