Will Print on Demand Include BattleLore?

By Interceptor2, in Battlelore

The "print on-demand" on the FFG news page is interesting. Here's the link: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=2055 . Does this apply to any game, or just the CCGs? This sounds perfect for BattleLore. I hear the French re-packaged sets are selling like hot cakes. There might not be a big market for BattleLore, but I'm betting there is enough of a cult following to keep the game profitable for FFG, even if on a smaller scale.

I'm glad to hear the french sets are selling well. I but several of the new/old sets (a second base set and 2 copies of hundred years war).

But what kind of thing could they do for battlelore with the print on demand format? Because it's just small card expansions that they could release. They could release more lore cards (which I would really like and buy in a second) and more cards for the hero expansion (which I would like and buy) but what else could they do with it?

Did you have any ideas?

Different Call to Arms sets (themed, race specific, medieaval, etc).

An Epic Command Deck.

An event deck that adds hero adventures to normal scenarios, or similar.

I'm sure if FFG are creative they could do wonders. I am also thinking that fans with some good ideas might have an opportunity to add something to their favourite games.

Cheers,

Giles.

TheKingOfBlades said:

But what kind of thing could they do for battlelore with the print on demand format? Because it's just small card expansions that they could release. They could release more lore cards (which I would really like and buy in a second) and more cards for the hero expansion (which I would like and buy) but what else could they do with it?

Did you have any ideas?

If FFG isn't going to release any of the additional races/factions for BattleLore in either big box or piecemeal fashion, I would love it if they would release the racial/faction charcteristic cards, unit/weapon cards, and full sets of race/faction specific CtA cards through what the PoD format seems to be bringing.

I enjoy the miniatures, but it is the mechanics that I am most interested in.

All the other ideas that Giles mentioned, certainly as well.

Not sure FFG has BL in mind for PoD, but I hope they do (assuming those elements aren't in the works for full production, that is :) ).

I'd love to see a Hero Quest Deck that adds in some hero victory conditions into a scenario - players could play with one or two of these hero quest cards, each one adding a terrain piece or event to the board that the hero can activate or search for. Some could be a simple: Add a forest hex to the X hex row and place Y treasure tokens on this space. Some could be more complex, eg:

• Adding knights or creatures that are 'neutral' and must be defeated in combat for both a banner and a treasure.
  • Adding a knight to every bridge or ford who must be paid off with gold, or defeated before the bridge can be used.
  • Go to the tower (placed in X hex) and rescue the princess for a victory banner - along with rules about what the hero must do to rescue the princess.
  • Retrieve a potion - mark a forest or river hex in the middle of the board with a Wizard lore master token, go to this space, activate a hero in this space and make your way back to the base line in order to score a banner or gain X lore tokens (or both).
  • Heroes might recieve individual quests (ie: defeat a creature, reconnoitre the enemy camp (move the hero on to the opponents base line) etc).

There are plenty of ideas that could add some variation and fun to the game - not to be used all the time, but they could certainly increase the use of heroes and make for some fun additions to a scenario!

That would be a lot of fun in my opinion. Though I certainly also like the idea of little adventure packs that add a creature, a hero and a lore master of a theme to the game - but these are fuller expansions than just a deck of cards!

POD could also be a way for FFG to provide the up-to-date unit/weapon cards.

Just some ideas.

Cheers,

Giles.

I wasn't sure if this print on demand stuff was just cards or if it would also include things like miniatures. I'd love to see some more terrain tiles...definately more archer stakes and ramparts. Also, I think some roadways or some buildings would be cool...especially village-type buildings...even if they are just generic obstacles, they'd make the gameboard more colorful. A roadside tavern, ancient ruins, a dwarven altar, an orc pit-trap, a gypsy camp...whatever. If this POD stuff would include miniatures, I think it would be awesome if they released some small miniatures packs with some specialized miniatures...like heroes and villians of the Hundred Years War, inquisitors, viking raiders, barbarian berzerkers, etc. Also, they could start releasing an undead army through small packs...initially these undead could be overlords of the goblin army, and as more packs of undead came out, they could start forming their own, individual army. For example: FFG could release a small package that could hang on a shelf, and it could contain three mounted wraiths (black riders...awesome!). The package could contain a call to arms card or two for these guys, and a detail card for the wraiths. Also, they could throw in a terrain tile or two, such as cursed earth, unholy altar, etc. You'd think a pack like this could sell for less than $10. You buy two packs, and you've got yourself six wraiths. The next pack could be four zombie infantry or skeletal archers or something similar. These types of expansions could easily be incorporated into current armies, and over time, you could build an entire army of this new race this way.

Interceptor said:

For example: FFG could release a small package that could hang on a shelf, and it could contain three mounted wraiths (black riders...awesome!). The package could contain a call to arms card or two for these guys, and a detail card for the wraiths. Also, they could throw in a terrain tile or two, such as cursed earth, unholy altar, etc. You'd think a pack like this could sell for less than $10. You buy two packs, and you've got yourself six wraiths. The next pack could be four zombie infantry or skeletal archers or something similar. These types of expansions could easily be incorporated into current armies, and over time, you could build an entire army of this new race this way.

This is exactly how DoW had planned on introducing additional races...

I don't think FFG will go in that direction, but I would love the irony if they did partido_risa.gif

Interceptor said:

I wasn't sure if this print on demand stuff was just cards or if it would also include things like miniatures. I'd love to see some more terrain tiles...definately more archer stakes and ramparts. Also, I think some roadways or some buildings would be cool...especially village-type buildings...even if they are just generic obstacles, they'd make the gameboard more colorful. A roadside tavern, ancient ruins, a dwarven altar, an orc pit-trap, a gypsy camp...whatever. If this POD stuff would include miniatures, I think it would be awesome if they released some small miniatures packs with some specialized miniatures...like heroes and villians of the Hundred Years War, inquisitors, viking raiders, barbarian berzerkers, etc. Also, they could start releasing an undead army through small packs...initially these undead could be overlords of the goblin army, and as more packs of undead came out, they could start forming their own, individual army. For example: FFG could release a small package that could hang on a shelf, and it could contain three mounted wraiths (black riders...awesome!). The package could contain a call to arms card or two for these guys, and a detail card for the wraiths. Also, they could throw in a terrain tile or two, such as cursed earth, unholy altar, etc. You'd think a pack like this could sell for less than $10. You buy two packs, and you've got yourself six wraiths. The next pack could be four zombie infantry or skeletal archers or something similar. These types of expansions could easily be incorporated into current armies, and over time, you could build an entire army of this new race this way.

With a terrain piece like a road-side tavern I'd love to see a themed set ( something like I talk about here ).

Imagine a small 'Adventure Pack' called something like A Meeting by the Road , included in this box (a small silverline size would work well) would be a terrain piece or two like the Road Side Tavern. A hero (a Ranger perhaps - would suit the general zeitgeist of the game, or a story teller). A Lore Master (Ranger or story teller). Miniatures for the hero, tokens and cards for the hero and Lore Master. A Creature (a Mountain Troll perhaps, guard dogs, a shadowy stranger or whatever). As well as a couple of scenarios.

Perhaps there could also be something like the Quest cards I mentioned above - say 10-15 that orientate around the original Lore Masters, the Ranger/Storyteller, the Road Side Inn and so on.

A series of these adventure packs could add a whole lot of fun little thematic experiences to the game. Imagine like an RPG - you have the core rules (the base set), source books introducing major additions like new armies (battle packs like HoHo and Bearded Brave), and Adventure Packs that add a couple of littler and thematic stuff, and a couple of scenarios.

That would be a lot of fun in my opinion!

Cheers,

Giles.

Interceptor said:

The "print on-demand" on the FFG news page is interesting. Here's the link: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=2055 . Does this apply to any game, or just the CCGs? This sounds perfect for BattleLore. I hear the French re-packaged sets are selling like hot cakes. There might not be a big market for BattleLore, but I'm betting there is enough of a cult following to keep the game profitable for FFG, even if on a smaller scale.

I do NOT have face book... nore do I want it.

I do want any BLm stuff, maps, campaigns etc... but I will not do facebook....

you have my email already,, please send it to me

thank you

M

PS screw facebook etall

I hate Facebook, too...but I'm just wondering, who said anything about Facebook in this thread? I must have missed it. The link I posted was to a news story on the Fantasy Flight Games news boards.

16 people on facebook like PoD - it's tainted ;)

I would like some more terrain tiles! Let's say about 10 woods/hills tiles for the Epic Agincourt scenario... ;)

Also, some tiles with ruins on them would make a nice touch, like partial shelter from arrows.

Another idea would be a Battleground pack.

A set of cards that include different terrain layouts.

In it's simplest form you'd flip three cards and they would form the battlefield (or you could draw 5 and each player would, in turn, eliminate one.

In a more complex form they could include race/country specific themes

- The dwarf set might include more hills and cliffs

-The goblin set might include more open terrain and forests.

this could be as complex as you would like - different countries might include different mixes of cards or whatever.

This whole concept could be added to the Hero Quest deck idea above - so you not only build a map, but you also add in objectives, quests, and so forth.

Cheers,

Giles.

If they go for POD then I would settle for prettified rules, cards etc from Mr Borgs playtest group. FFG could then release army packs on what ever is selling from the sets.

If I recall correctly the release of Dragons and Heroes leaves the 'wider community' about 6 - 8 years behind what Mr Borgs group is up to.

I'd even go so far as to say I'd take the hit for overseas shipping to the UK if FFG doesn't have a POD partner in Europe.

Chris