FATE POINTS New Talent your thoughts?

By sebek3, in Dark Heresy House Rules

Sometimes, as we all know, fate throws us more than an occasional curve ball so with that in mind i've thought about introducing the following talent just to help. It comes in two options. I've tried to take into consideration game balance. It is very easy to introduce something to help but could upset the overall balance of the game. I would be very interested in your thoughts for and against each option.

NEW TALENT.
Fortunate Son
Cost 200xp
This talent allows the player to reduce the degrees of failure by 1 degree per fate point spent. It can only be used to reduce the degrees of failure to achive a maximum of an ordinary sucess.

or

Fortunate Son.
Cost 300xp
This talent allows the player to use 1 fate point per session to get an ordinary success on a task.

With this talent choice you could take the following talent

Favored Son.
Cost 500xp Pre requisite Fortunate Son
This talent allows the player, once per session, to spend a fate point to add a degree of sucess, they can spend no more than 3 fate points in this way to add no more than 3 degrees of sucess.

The last option seems best. But i dont know if it would be needed to have an actual talent for something that you as GM could technically include in the spending of fate points during a regular gaming session.

That may be the way to go just giving the players that extra option. Perhaps by taking the Talent it would allow you to use it again so you could spend 2 fate points per session to count as having an ordinary success?

Normal DH allows you to spend a FP to improve a roll by 1 degree of success if it is successful or attempt a re-roll if it is a failure. Ascention ups this to adding 2 degrees of success with a spent FP. I simply added a house rule that allows my players (and NPCs with FP!) to spend a FP to convert a basic failure into a basic success. I feel that it is comfortably within the spirit of the rules, especially since it still rewards a successful roll more.

I don't really like the Talent that gives you an automatic ordinary success. The whole concept of Fate Points in Dark Heresy is to "improve your odds," not to make tasks trivial. A re-roll improves your chances while maintaining the suspense and tension of those critical moments, adding a degree to an existing success just improves your performance slightly. An automatic success removes narrative tension and for that reason I don't agree with it.

I was thinking of implementing a rule that allows a PC or NPC to use a FP to modify the result of a failed dice roll by 10.

Not an automatic success, but may just be enough to bump over a very CLOSE failure into a success.

You know what I mean, rolling a 51 when you needed a 50... ARGH

That's fine, I think. Wouldn't really unbalance anything.