card questions

By kingsoyboy, in 2. AGoT Rules Discussion

1. House targaryen: Khal Drogo Response: After you win a challenge, put Khal Drogo into play from your hand. At the end of the phase, return Khal Drogo to his owner's hand. Question: Do you have to pay the cost whenever a response says to put a card in play based on the condition?

2. House Stark: Plot card Valar Morghulis . Question: When you kill all characters in play can they be saved with attachments?

kingsoyboy said:

1. House targaryen: Khal Drogo Response: After you win a challenge, put Khal Drogo into play from your hand. At the end of the phase, return Khal Drogo to his owner's hand. Question: Do you have to pay the cost whenever a response says to put a card in play based on the condition?

No. Any time a card ability starts with a bold timing word (like Response, Any Phase, Challenges, etc.), it is a "triggered effect." Triggered effects are defined by the fact that they only activate when the player that controls the card chooses for them to do so. They are all optional, so just because you win a challenge, you do not have to put Khal Drogo into play from your hand in you do not want to.

Think of all the events that have similar "Response: after you win a challenge..." type effects; if they were mandatory, how would your opponent know you didn't play it when you were supposed to.

kingsoyboy said:

2. House Stark: Plot card Valar Morghulis . Question: When you kill all characters in play can they be saved with attachments?

Yes. Unless a kill effect specifically says that the killed characters cannot be saved (like, say, the plot card Wildfire Assault), you are allowed to save them with any applicable effect you may have.

Ktom said:

No. Any time a card ability starts with a bold timing word (like Response, Any Phase, Challenges, etc.), it is a "triggered effect." Triggered effects are defined by the fact that they only activate when the player that controls the card chooses for them to do so. They are all optional, so just because you win a challenge, you do not have to put Khal Drogo into play from your hand in you do not want to.

Think of all the events that have similar "Response: after you win a challenge..." type effects; if they were mandatory, how would your opponent know you didn't play it when you were supposed to.

My question is if you do decide to trigger it do you have to pay the cost of the card?

A slightly abbreviated version of ktom's answer:

No you do not have to play the cost if you are playing it using the Response mechanic. You only have to pay his cost if you play him normally during marshalling.

Hopefully this helps clear up the matter. :)

kingsoyboy said:

My question is if you do decide to trigger it do you have to pay the cost of the card?

Sorry. I was confused by the question because "cost" can mean either the printed, gold cost you use to "play" a card or the resource/effect cost of triggering an ability.

As Drakey says, if you are using the effect, you are using a "put into play" effect and the gold cost to "play" him doesn't enter into the equation. Unless specifically referenced by a card effect (and a bunch of them do), the gold cost means nothing outside of the Marshaling phase.

Thank you WWDrakey,

That was the answer I was looking for. And no need to apoligize Ktom, you've answered many of my questions in the past which is why I am still playing and having fun. Thanks again guys. Boy, if only they had these forms when I was a kid, we always had to just make the rules up ourselves after long eveings arquing about it. Of course I'm 40 yrs old now and there wasn't internet then.