It does look sexy

By MadnessFromHell, in Horus Heresy

Hello guys,

We've been purchasing quite a few boardgames now and we are looking for one that require fewer players. I cant decide if I should pick this one or go with the Game of Thrones card game (2 players game in both case), the latest beeing more expansive with all the expansions.

Also I havent found a player of HH and the different topics in the forum are a bit confusing without the big picture. Could anyone quickly explain the game mechanics ? Many thanks !

One important thing is that one player in HH (the traitor player) is the attacker (his units coming from orbit and landing on Terra), the other the defender. This is fun as the traitor player can make cool things like orbital bombardements and use drop pods. The defender (imperial player) has other advantages, like being able to win by holding out until the end of the game and being able to produce new units.

The game works with order cards and rewards planning ahead with orders (works with a strategic map where orders can be placed for following "turns"). Each player has its own deck of order cards. Most are different on both sides (examples: pod assault (attacker), vs build titans (defender)).

The combat works with combat cards. Each player has a combat card deck. Each card has special effects if a certain unit type takes part in combat. Cards are used to deal damage and also to ward off damage. Retreats are costly as they force the fleeing army to do nothing for quite a long time (and during that time they cannot retreat again if attacked anew). The order cards decide how many rounds a battle is fought (so some are only minor skirmishes).

Units have ranks which indicate combat strength and damage points. They can be damaged, but mostly not repaired. Some units can be corrupted by the traitor player and then join his side.

The game contains heroes, which allow you to draw additional combat cards if present in battle and have some really game-deciding special rules (mostly only when the unit type they are connected to is present). They can be killed, though this is difficult.

The areas that see most combat are fortress areas which also afford protection and the space ports the traitor player needs to land units on the map. Defence lasers in some areas can shoot at units trying to land.

The game can be won by killing the enemy leader (Horus (traitors) or Emperor (loyalists)) or, after half of the game, by conquering all four space ports. In most scenarios (6 are provided) the imperial player wins if the game ends without one of the aforementioned decisions.

The 6 scenarios provided are not too different from each other, as they are basically different versions of the same battle. But there is sufficient variety, with different event cards used in the scenarios and some special rules.

The game is complex enough for many hours of thrilling battles.

Never mind, didn't read OP carefully enough sonrojado.gif .

@ MadnessFromHell: Is the above summary sufficient? You can download the rules from the HH-page of FFG (but not the scnario booklet), if you have questions about some specific game mechanics just ask.

Tx a lot Red your resume is quite good and the game look interesting ! Can you tell me the number of hours a game take usually ?

Playtime is about 2-4 hours, depending on how familiar you are with the game. So the first games will be like 4 (or even 5 hours in your very first game with looking into the rules book etc), later this will reduce to 3 or even two.

The AGoT card game is best with 4 players. It's not really designed as a duelling game, there's a lot of game mechanics that only work if you're playing in a 3-4 player game. If you want something that plays well with two players pick up Horus Heresy instead.

Or Battles of Westeros if you are a fan. Its 2 player and the expansions are pretty inexpensive and the games take around an hour or less.

i had the original , got rid of it , this makes me want to buy it , especially since it has MINIS !!!!!!

redsimon said:

Playtime is about 2-4 hours, depending on how familiar you are with the game. So the first games will be like 4 (or even 5 hours in your very first game with looking into the rules book etc), later this will reduce to 3 or even two.

unless your a dumb chaos player like me and you play a card from your hand that opens you up to be taken down in three moves. He He He.