Adjusting the Storm Bolter

By HappyDaze, in Deathwatch House Rules

I was looking over the Storm Bolter and noticed that it is supposed to have two regular clips to feed the dual mechanism. I was considering adjusting the stats to:

Clip: 28 (x2)

Reload: Full (x2)

This allows regular Bolter clips to be used with the weapon and allows it to reload each clip independently of the other. Needless to say, Storm drains ammo from both clips equally and the Storm Quality does not function if there are not sufficient rounds in both Clips for the attack.

HappyDaze said:

I was looking over the Storm Bolter and noticed that it is supposed to have two regular clips to feed the dual mechanism. I was considering adjusting the stats to:

This allows regular Bolter clips to be used with the weapon and allows it to reload each clip independently of the other. Needless to say, Storm drains ammo from both clips equally and the Storm Quality does not function if there are not sufficient rounds in both Clips for the attack.

A useful common variant, though some of the Stormbolters depicted these days have a single drum/hopper magazine instead of two Bolter magazines.

Apologies if this is not the best place for this but it is relevant to "Adjusting" the storm Bolter,

My group is grumbling a bit because our Tactical marine has a pimped storm bolter and regularly outperforms everyone in horde hosing, even the heavy bolter toting devestator because of the sheer ease with which he can attain 8 hits combined with metal storm ammo etc.

This is especially a problem because the heavy bolter as several people have noted outperforms other heavy weapons in odd situations because of the rate of fire and any nerf to it would leave it clearly inferior to the storm bolter in that regard.

With this in mind I am looking at a modification to the "Storm" quality as a possible fix, instead of doubling hits per DoS I'm looking at the following

STORM: Gain an extra +10 when firing (so+10 for "single", +20 when firing semi, +30 when firing full) and ignore the penalty for moving and firing on the semi or full auto fire modes.

This still gives an easier time an effective extra hit when fired up to the weapons normal limit and also makes it good for laying down mobile firepower, which is really the weapons main perk on the tabletop as well.

What do you think?

N0-1_H3r3 said:

HappyDaze said:

A useful common variant, though some of the Stormbolters depicted these days have a single drum/hopper magazine instead of two Bolter magazines.

I'd say that regardless of whether it's a drum or a dual magazine, the reload time should be Full (2). You have to decide which version you want when you requisition the Storm Bolter. Drum-fed has a Clip of 60, dual Magazine has a clip of 28 (x2), but can use regular bolter magazines if you run out of ammo. I'm not sure what the pattern names are, so I'll edit and post them when I find out.

Runescryer said:

N0-1_H3r3 said:

HappyDaze said:

I'd say that regardless of whether it's a drum or a dual magazine, the reload time should be Full (2). You have to decide which version you want when you requisition the Storm Bolter. Drum-fed has a Clip of 60, dual Magazine has a clip of 28 (x2), but can use regular bolter magazines if you run out of ammo. I'm not sure what the pattern names are, so I'll edit and post them when I find out.

I've got no problem with a Storm Bolter operating with only one of the two clips in place and operating as a Bolter (no Storm) when the marine wants to conserve ammunition.

in my game the special amunition are for the bolter gun only not the bolt pistol or the storm bolter the only exception to this is the heavy bolter with hellfire shell. And for the hellfire stat i remove the single shot blast (3), So it does 2 hit per hit against horde with rof of 10, ignore natural armour and righteous fury on 9 or 10. and the storm bolter stay as it is and no possibility of special amunitions.