Divine Shot possibilities

By The Laughing God, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

can you use the Divine Shot psychic power on grenades and heavy weapons?

The wording doesn't exclude it, but OHMG. What about range? You could unerringly guide a missile to strike a target hundreds of meters away?

I always saw that Divine Shot worked kind of like that scene in Beverly Hills Cop 2, where Rosewood shots the Rocket Launcher and blows up the truck.

I always imagined a scene in a game where chasing speeders the psyker use's divine shot and shoots the missile out the back of the speeder cork screwing wildly for a moment before locking on and scream towards to opposing speeder.

The designer of the Dark Heresy Psionics systems suggests restricting Divine Shot to a single weapon with the same requirements and limitations of the Call Item minor power: Only 1 item can be "tuned" at a time, and that weapon must be capable of being carried/wielded in one hand.

The Laughing God said:

What about range? You could unerringly guide a missile to strike a target hundreds of meters away?

That sounds reasonable. Basically the way I see Divine Shot is that it can guarantee a single hit on any attack that a character would normally be allowed to roll for (including shots that that have so many penalties that a roll of 01 is still a fail).

Just remember that weapons have a maximum range of 4 times their listed range. That limit also applies to Divine Shot.

Unusualsuspect , could I see a source for that ?

My fave combo I must say has been putting together Divine Shot with an Infernus Hellax. I'm not sure there's anything much that stops it as you're not allowing a dodge, cutting through any fields and armour and even no demonic toughness.

Bilateralrope said:

The Laughing God said:

What about range? You could unerringly guide a missile to strike a target hundreds of meters away?

That sounds reasonable. Basically the way I see Divine Shot is that it can guarantee a single hit on any attack that a character would normally be allowed to roll for (including shots that that have so many penalties that a roll of 01 is still a fail).

Just remember that weapons have a maximum range of 4 times their listed range. That limit also applies to Divine Shot.

Unusualsuspect , could I see a source for that ?

I said that with confidence, but anyone can lie on the web, and perhaps this fellow did as well... though I have no reason to doubt, really, as a lot of what he lists as suggested changes actually went into the Errata later on. Also, that was from memory - he simply suggests "Personal firearm", and tongue in cheek implores that a GM smack a player if they try to attune to "their personal lascannon."

edit: Ugh. Anyone know how to disguise urls as text? I HATE THIS GODDAMN BOARD SOFTWARE.

javascript:void(0);/*1299535774467*/

Personally, I'm okay with Divine Shot being applicable to most weapons. The description of the power seems to rely entirely on the psyker's perception of the future and multiplicities of possibility, and not at all on the weapon in question.

That is to say, even if the character has never thrown a grenade before, as long as they can physically reach the distance needed there is at least one possible future where they hit, and they choose it. It's really the only "damage dealing" power that Divination has, so it can stand to be quite good.

Has anyone thought about the implications of automatic hits r.e. Accurate weapons? How have you chosen to deal with it?

The more I think about it, the more sense it makes to count the roll as a 01 for the purposes of DoS, at least from a logical standpoint. It also meshes somewhat with the rules for other things (such as Indomitable Will of the Inquisition from Ascension).

I'm not sure what that does for the balance standpoint yet, though. Perhaps require that the character still take a Half-Action to aim if they wish to receive the bonus Accurate damage, though Divine Shot by itself is a Free Action. It would likely unbalance the game to have a sniper who could shoot and then move and still get full damage. It also makes a certain degree of sense. You can find a future where, even while running and waving the sniper rifle, you would at least hit your opponent. Sneaking that shot past armor/into vital areas/however you choose to represent Accurate, however, seems like it would be impossible without at least setting the stage for it to happen.

Frankly, the automatic hit is really the only thing I take for granted, when it comes to Divine Shot.

The psyker is effectively searching through the vagarities of the warp amongst the nigh-infinite possible occurances for a trigger pull that results in a hit. Do you really imagine a psyker is going to have the time and wherewithall to be able to go through so many scenarios that he can actually choose the future where not only does he hit with what could be an all-but-impossible shot, but one where he does so perfectly?

Nah. They may automatically hit, but to hit those sweet spots with that hunting rifle and for every other bullet in the hail that is full-auto, I don't think it unreasonable to make the player earn it. It is already an undodgeable, up-to-godawfully long ranged reach-out-and-touch-someone shot... It needn't necessarily go through the target's retina too.

Edit: to directly answer the question, I would have the psyker roll to attack as normal. If the psyker gets the necessary DoS, they get the extra damage or extra hits... but regardless of the roll, the gun will never jam and the first shot will never miss.

Reviving this post for two reasons... Comment and Additional Questions.

First off: Divine shot's power itself specifies "You must concentrate on a single firearm or other missile weapon in your possession and the ammunition it carries" blah blah blah "Only one shot automatically hits, even if you are using semi-automatic or automatic weapons. All other shots require tests as normal."

So that answers the question, i personally don't believe it can be used on grenades and the like... but grenade launchers? why not. No mention of only one hand but does clerify about multi-shots.

Now my question:

With the errata of "Focus power action" counting as an attack action... and Divine shot itself not being sustainable. That means you can't actually use it the round you activate the power. However sustaining states you only need to roll to sustain after 10 rounds... so does that mean anywhere within 10 rounds of using the power you can take a shot that is guaranteed to hit?

Or is it because of the fact it's a free action to summon the power it doesn't actually use your "attack" action for the round, and thus have to use the shot that round or else the power is wasted?

It hasn't come up that frequently for my group (Since i'm the one with it and I just retired a tech-priest due to difference in opinion with the GM and made this diviner) but we've played it where I basically just shoot the following round with the auto hit.

niarBaD said:

Or is it because of the fact it's a free action to summon the power it doesn't actually use your "attack" action for the round, and thus have to use the shot that round or else the power is wasted?

This. Its the only interpretation how to handle the "free action" powers with them still working as intended.

Noctus said:

niarBaD said:

This. Its the only interpretation how to handle the "free action" powers with them still working as intended.

Ugh, and sadly my GM has decided "no, that's too powerful" (mostly because he gave me an inferno pistol <3) So instead all None-sustainable powers last "10" rounds.

Which has it's upside... I'm a mute Psyker so I can hold a conversation with people a lot easier when my Telepathy lasts nearly a full minute. The downside is, we just hit Ascension so the Time manipulation path is nice, but Precognition is meh without getting overbleed.

If I were you I think that you should just make a house rule for Divine Shot and say that you can manifest it and have a full round to aim and shoot, or move and shoot, or just shoot. It was intended to be use that way otherwise if you take it as RAW then the power is useless and your not allowed to do any attack the turn you manifest it or the turn after then. You could also make it like "Unnatural Aim" minor psychic power and have it last for two turns like you've been doing so far. Because none sustainable powers should not last beyond the round they are manifested.