Starting into the Game

By lordofthefries, in Warhammer Invasion Deck Building

Hi all!

I purchased the core set last night, and now I'm trying to figure out the most efficient way to expand what I own. I'm leaning towards getting Ulthuan and March of the Damned first. I figure that they'll offer the largest card offerings and provide more deck building options.

I'm a little more hesitant about starting to acquire the Battle Packs, though. Well, I'm not hesitant about getting them, I'm hesitant with which cycle to start with. Should I start with Omens of Ruin since that cycle just started or should I go back and start with Corruption? Or should I go through the cards and find ones that fit with decks I want to play and only get those?

Any advice is appreciated!

In terms of adding items to decks and expanding on the "core" foundation, are there any key ideas to focus on? Like for Orks, there's a lot of emphasis on low cost, easy to cycle units. Do certain Battle Packs/Cycles help expand that idea better than others?

The big expansions don't feel like they'll expand options much at all if you only have core. This game has also seen somewhat uneven distribution of cards across factions. Ulthuan adds elves, sure, but it still feels a tad short of giving you well-rounded decks for each faction. March of the Damned is better, since it's a pile of fresh neutral cards for all, with some new themes and mechanics.

What I think might help you decide is looking at decks built to make use of the factions' strengths. Follow the card links on a deck builder site to figure out what packs you need to tailor some decent packs. Yes, you'll want the expansions, but there are battle packs with highly desirable cards for each race :)

The first cycle did seem to favour Destruction, with its Destruction-neutral skaven cards. There was much orc-love, too. Eww.

Can someone suggest some good "deck builder" sites? It would be much appreciated.

Deckbox seems to be the way to go (link below), if you create an account there you'll be able to created decks as you please. They also seem to be up to date on cards as far as I can tell.

javascript:void(0);/*1301486825540*/

I'm a big fan of the excel document maintained over at Boardgamegeek.com, it lists every card and all its information up to the most recent released Omens of Ruin. I just store it locally and view it when i want to know which packs I want next or as reference when building decks and reading the forum. Its nice being able to sort by all HE cards or whatever you're currently doing:

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/50579/complete-spoiler-list-so-far-base-full-corruption