Medic - elite package. Review needed

By qendi, in Dark Heresy House Rules

Greetings brethren,

Recently after playiong Red Cages from Harclock Legacy our cell's psyker ( savant, biomancer) said to me (GM) "enough". He declared that after Red Ceages, what he'd seen in IG and after quite important NPC dying on his hands the mindset of his character changed. He was team's medic already but now he stated that he wants to save people's lifes not only kill them. So I said: ok, I like this idea. I even prepared him an elite advance package, which you can see here ( medic package ). We decided that he'll pay 250 EXP for getting access to the package.

Now my question is: What do you think o it? Would you change something? Add or Delete something? Any comments?

Basically every single healing/medical skill, talent, and power in the same class seems pretty insane. That'd be like "screw it, I'm not going to just hurt people, I'm going to KILL them." and the putting every single good talent and skill related to murdering people with giant guns into the same class and paying a pretty minimal fee to get access to EVERYTHING.

If you were to take this as an elite class thingy early on, you wouldn't need to take skills from anything else for like 10k exp.

What you should do instead is work with his ranks in psyker than he doesn't have access to and add medicine related things to them. For each rank or something add 2 or 3 (or more, who knows) useful healing related powers.

All the +20 skills, Master Chiurgeon, and the Psy power seem out of place for a medic advance and tread very heavily on the Adepts areas. I would consider removing them and keeping the psyker aspects out of it.

The Trade (Apothecary) and Medicae skills don't have progressive costs like the rest of the skills. I would correct this.

I would consider putting the Talented skills at 300 each.

Sure Strike should probably be at 300XP.

You have a lot of low cost skills in there. That seems cheap for a mere 250XP access, I would definately consider upping that to at least 500, maybe 800 if you don't up the skill costs.

Keep in mind that the Psyker class gets Medicae in one branch.

Other than the changes I would make, it is a pretty good advanced class.

I did not get the reason for carouse in the package.

@IsUncertainWho : & Nimon: Points taken. Things taken into consideration.

Medic version 2

Comment: I know about Master Churgeon but I'd realy like to hold it here at cost of some other stuff.

What dfo you guys think now? How much would you estimate it should cost?

I like the changes quite a bit.

I would have left Carouse in since a lot of doctors are alcoholics and drug addicts, but that's just me.

I would say 300-500 XP for the package wouldn't be bad.

Atleast 400xp....prolly 500xp

I'd like to chime in with the following: Why would a biomancer need all this stuff? You'll eventually get medicae and such through natural progression up the psyker ranks and in the meanwime you've got seal wounds and all of the other nice psychic powers that does the job a lot better than medicae and master chiurgeon.

Graspar said:

I'd like to chime in with the following: Why would a biomancer need all this stuff? You'll eventually get medicae and such through natural progression up the psyker ranks and in the meanwime you've got seal wounds and all of the other nice psychic powers that does the job a lot better than medicae and master chiurgeon.

What about working on a null? Be hard to heal him with psyker powers.

ItsUncertainWho said:

I like the changes quite a bit.

I would have left Carouse in since a lot of doctors are alcoholics and drug addicts, but that's just me.

I would say 300-500 XP for the package wouldn't be bad.

Well as I was a Medic, I would have to say the asumption that a lot of doctors and what have you are addicts is BS. If you have anything dealing with substance abuse in your past you can not be a health care worker in the military, sad when the guys that went through training found that out the hard way once thier background checks were completed and became cooks.

Nimon said:

Graspar said:

<AHEM>. When I play my bio Psyker, I don't get within 10m of a null, let him die.

OTH I agree wholeheartly with Graspar. I did not bother to even look at the medic kit you've come up with. Psykers aren't 'wired' that way to heal someone using mundane ability. That's what the Adept or the Tech Priest is for.

When I can roll a fettered bio role on Seal Wounds, rolling 3 dice (Psy rating 5), with 2 power wells, Discipline Focus Bio as well as Mastery in Bio (3 dice average of 16+2+2+5=25) and usually getting 2d10+14 healing, why on the God-Emperor's green Earth would I ever use anything else? If I need to push to heal a lot of folks, I can usually heal my entire group at once.

If a Psyker takes all these other skills, then they're liable to reach ascension levels without other necessary skills for survival. Since it's a given that the entire Universe is out to destroy them. Especially GMs who hate Psykers who can heal like that.

Denmar1701 said:

OTH I agree wholeheartly with Graspar. I did not bother to even look at the medic kit you've come up with. Psykers aren't 'wired' that way to heal someone using mundane ability. That's what the Adept or the Tech Priest is for.

When I can roll a fettered bio role on Seal Wounds, rolling 3 dice (Psy rating 5), with 2 power wells, Discipline Focus Bio as well as Mastery in Bio (3 dice average of 16+2+2+5=25) and usually getting 2d10+14 healing, why on the God-Emperor's green Earth would I ever use anything else? If I need to push to heal a lot of folks, I can usually heal my entire group at once.

Why? Bacause he wants to first of all. Second is that you can't always use your psi (just see Red Cages from Harlock Legacy) or using psi would ruin everything. Moreover the psyker for whom this was developed is just not interested for now in any more combat stuff since he got all he needs (biolightning and hammerhand, WS, STR, T >40, and talents allwoing him to deal some d10+20 dmg with ahmmerhand).
From what I see the guy really don't need any more 'survival' stuff, and the package is good developement of what had happened in the adventure

Denmar1701 said:

Nimon said:

Graspar said:

<AHEM>. When I play my bio Psyker, I don't get within 10m of a null, let him die.

If a Psyker takes all these other skills, then they're liable to reach ascension levels without other necessary skills for survival. Since it's a given that the entire Universe is out to destroy them. Especially GMs who hate Psykers who can heal like that.

What if the guy you need to save is the only one with the code to the sealed door and you are about to have your hull exposed to vacumm. Let him die and die yourself. Saying you never let a null come near you would sound like a challenge, and as a GM I love that kind of challenge. I could think of a dozen ways besides a null that you could be cut off from your precious powers.

Yeah, that one really far fetched situation totally justifies months of training so you can heal that one in a million untouchable whom you're not even supposed to be able to hold down breakfast in the vicinity of let alone stick our hands in his gut and perform surgery. Totally.

But of course, if the player WANTS to get medicae there's no good reason not to let him, I personally just dont see much of a point from either a game mechanics or a role playing perspective.

It strikes me as somewhat similar to superman deciding that he really wants to get better at setting things on fire and so decides to practice throwing matches. When you've got heat vision it's sort of pointless, but I wouldn't tell superman he's doing it wrong. At least not to his face. gui%C3%B1o.gif

Graspar said:

But of course, if the player WANTS to get medicae there's no good reason not to let him, I personally just dont see much of a point from either a game mechanics or a role playing perspective.

What if the psyker is masquerading as a doctor? You know, many psykers would prefer that the public donĀ“t know what they are so it would make sense to use ordinary medicae as a cover.

Besides, every time you psychicly heal someone you risk perils, not so when using medicae.

I can definitly see the value of this package for a responsible and careful psyker.

I dont know, put on a lab coat and pretend? Learning a profession just to pretend to be what you in fact are after the learning process seems a bit much.

But like I said, that's not an issue with the package, just a comment on the percieved usefulness of the package and that's very much just my opinion.

Also, I noticed Denmar and me finally found some common ground when talking psykers, the stars must be right. Cthulhu is coming soon five!

Graspar said:

Yeah, that one really far fetched situation totally justifies months of training so you can heal that one in a million untouchable whom you're not even supposed to be able to hold down breakfast in the vicinity of let alone stick our hands in his gut and perform surgery. Totally.

It strikes me as somewhat similar to superman deciding that he really wants to get better at setting things on fire and so decides to practice throwing matches. When you've got heat vision it's sort of pointless, but I wouldn't tell superman he's doing it wrong. At least not to his face. gui%C3%B1o.gif

Psyker Nullifing toxins, sorcery that cuts you off from warp, antipsycker xeno tech.. are these equally far fetched? if so perhaps your gm is not making things challenging enough.

Yes, those are all out of the ordinary situations which strikes me as a little odd to base a career choice on. That doesn't mean it never happens, just that it seems somewhat odd to plan for and pursue an education for conducting healing in such situations. A normal doctor might plausibly loose a hand (in fact, that's bound to happen a lot more often than the situations you bring up) yet I bet we all agree that'd be a pretty weak rationale for learning to stitch up wounds with his toes.

Graspar said:

Yes, those are all out of the ordinary situations which strikes me as a little odd to base a career choice on. That doesn't mean it never happens, just that it seems somewhat odd to plan for and pursue an education for conducting healing in such situations. A normal doctor might plausibly loose a hand (in fact, that's bound to happen a lot more often than the situations you bring up) yet I bet we all agree that'd be a pretty weak rationale for learning to stitch up wounds with his toes.

This is more akin to relying on one sense. Just because you have xray vision doesnt mean being able to run fast is bad. Besides using the skills, knowledge of medicine could also aid in the investigation aspect of the game. You mentioned superman before, dont forget he is also a news reporter on top of all those special abilities of his, and those skills enhance his ability to find and punish criminals. Sure you would not want to rely on something like this entirely, but it is simply an enhancement advance like all the alternate advancements.

In what way is that a more apt analogy than mine? The character is trying to heal, already has biomancy and is now learning medicae, pray tell how healing with biomancy is x-ray vision while healing with medicae is running really fast. Because it seems to me both of those get the same end result, healing. Unless you propose that one can move about fast with X-ray vision or see through objects with the ability to run fast I don't really see it.

Graspar said:

In what way is that a more apt analogy than mine? The character is trying to heal, already has biomancy and is now learning medicae, pray tell how healing with biomancy is x-ray vision while healing with medicae is running really fast. Because it seems to me both of those get the same end result, healing. Unless you propose that one can move about fast with X-ray vision or see through objects with the ability to run fast I don't really see it.

Being a Psyker is like haveing a Sixith sense. Simply relying on that Sixth sense can lead to trouble. So if you enhance your healing so that you do not just need that psyker sense, there can be many benefits.

Having a skilled medicae is nothing to question. Not all psykers have biomancy, mine sure doesn't, and just because you do have biomancy doesn't mean it's useless to have actual skills. Also, the revised package is not psyker specific, it is something that could be accessible to almost any class.

If you are in warp transit and need medical care, who do you want, a psyker or a medicae? I'd want the medicae.

I have also found many instances where the act of manifesting a power is not a good idea, having an actual skill to use is much better.