Necrons

By Wilfred Owen, in Black Crusade

Cynical Cat said:

Necrons are a great choice.

One, they're downloaded intelligences in superscience robot bodies. According to 5th edition 40K, some of them are totally around the bend insane and that's by the standards of a bunch of guys who regularly engage in genocidal activities. They are powerful enough to threaten players of Chaos Marine level power and are villainous enough to be clear bad guys even by Chaos standards. They also have hyper tech loot which puts them in the holy trinity of enemies: powerful, clearly evil, and possessing loot worth grabbing.

If they do put Necrons into Black Crusade I forsee melta weapons becoming very popular. Pity about turning all that high-tech loot into slag.

I like to think of the Necrons as the GrimDark lords of order.

They want to end Chaos (and lower-case chaos) and create order by killing everyone. Simple no?

So they'd be great foes for Black Crusade.

I'm kinda undecided on this one. on the one hand if 'crons are the main focus it becomes a session of "all flesh must be eaten" using the 40k rpg system. and on the other I'd like more than the tomb guardian and harbinger from "The emperor protects".

Just how Tyranids are not the sole opponents in Deathwatch, I have a sincere doubt that Necrons will be the sole opponents of the Black Crusade.

It's a frickin' Black Crusade, people... While Necrons might try to interfere with a Crusade to the point where they need to be "dealt with", if the main target is not the Imperium of man, I'm going to be very, very confused.

In a completely serious way, this is what I love about early speculation with games just announced. Based on one and a half little pieces of art we're crying doom and gloom over a possible antagonist for it.

Dulahan said:

In a completely serious way, this is what I love about early speculation with games just announced. Based on one and a half little pieces of art we're crying doom and gloom over a possible antagonist for it.

Dude, this is par for the course. Just wait until about a month before the game is due to ship. The RT and DW pre-release boards were nightmarish in flaming nerd rage, speculation, and argument. Once GenCon hits it'll be even worse as lots of people start whining about FFG not having enough copies at the show or selling out before they got there and why hasn't my copy shipped yet. This has happened before, it will happen again.

Dethand said:

Cynical Cat said:

Necrons are a great choice.

One, they're downloaded intelligences in superscience robot bodies. According to 5th edition 40K, some of them are totally around the bend insane and that's by the standards of a bunch of guys who regularly engage in genocidal activities. They are powerful enough to threaten players of Chaos Marine level power and are villainous enough to be clear bad guys even by Chaos standards. They also have hyper tech loot which puts them in the holy trinity of enemies: powerful, clearly evil, and possessing loot worth grabbing.

If they do put Necrons into Black Crusade I forsee melta weapons becoming very popular. Pity about turning all that high-tech loot into slag.

A pity, unless you're an evil, monstrous being like a GM. But I repeat myself . . . .

ItsUncertainWho said:

Dude, this is par for the course. Just wait until about a month before the game is due to ship. The RT and DW pre-release boards were nightmarish in flaming nerd rage, speculation, and argument. Once GenCon hits it'll be even worse as lots of people start whining about FFG not having enough copies at the show or selling out before they got there and why hasn't my copy shipped yet. This has happened before, it will happen again.

Oh, I know. Definitely know. I was one of those ones who had it at Gen Con in both RT and DW's cases. ;) And really, it's fun.

Let's hope the word 'Nerdrage' makes the OED - I think the rest of the English speaking world needs to fear its wrath too.

necrons, the watcher will help and aid choas he is not alone theres a few of em that will help.

I'd really like to see a lot more of the Tau[equipment]. The race['s weapons] as a whole is pretty interesting, and a water caste's ship[and all its delicious gear] would make an interesting alternative to the standard Rogue Traders[who also use pulse]. None of this has anything to do with wanting to slayer-arm a phased ion rifle or the such.

As far as Necrons go, the rules for their guns really make them a losing proposition. They're far too rare to have a reliable supply of the things, but you need a reliable source of them because they tend to just break down permanently on a jam result. Although the Distortion Shields are worth a bloody frigate to obtain.