to whom ever it may concern .......

By Guest, in Dust Tactics

A plea to whoever is in charge ……………………I will post this on board game geek and FFG website in the hopes that some one in a position will see it and give it some thought .

I wont pretend to know or even guess what the production and distribution rights contract between DUST GAMES and FANTASY FLIGHT GAMES entails , other than at some point the 2 must communicate to some degree on what direction the game is to take . I believe that AEG had the first 5 planned expansions ready to go , and now that FFG is in charge , HOW those expansions will come out seems to have changed .

So let me make this plea to whomever …….PAULO ………… FFG ……………… both …………..?

GET US SOME TANKS , JEEPS , HALFTRACKS , ETC ………………… I think pretty much every one who has read any of my posts realizes I love this game , so my plea is not to change the game or the direction the game world is going . My plea is based on perception . This is a game of ALTERNATE history , and without some of the regular seemingly mundane tanks , jeeps , trucks , etc ……….. the true coolness and parallel the DUST world represents is lost . Regardless of what education system you come from , you have to learn about WW2 , and the WW2 “weird war” genre is part of what has drawn a lot of people into it . Anyone who watched a lot of war movies or read a lot about the war , or what ever has a favorite side , favorite tank , favorite air plane , etc ……….. putting out some of those draws us all deeper into it , so that’s its not some totally new world like WH40K , but a world that we participate in and feel at home in because we had to learn about it in our real lives .

There are tons of players coming up with house rules for tanks , trucks , and even airplanes to fill the gaps . I my self included . We don’t do this to suggest PAOLO’s view is lacking , but because when the walkers are out there on the field WITH the tanks and jeeps and such , it makes the walkers and infantry seem that much cooler ! Having a P50 mustang out there along side PAULO’S airplane designs would make his stand out that much more . Without their real world counterparts on the table to compare them to , this just loses so much of what makes it SOOOOOOOOO cool .

With the change in release of the 5 expansions , there is a wonderful chance to continue the expansion of the world as planned , but also to throw a few regular vehicles in the mix for each side as well . And I make this plea because even under AGE , there was nothing listed in the planned expansions about such vehicles , in fact the only real mention of such vehicles is on page4 in the armor explanation .

Buying 1:48 ww2 models is rather expensive , and then requires alot of effort to assemble what is going to be alot more fragile than even the dust walkers . Buying 1:48 die cast vehicles CAN be even worse . And when it comes right down to it , I would rather spend my money supporting my FLGS , which supports the companies that make the games I play . As it is right now , I spend a lot of money supporting ebay and amazon.com , and what ever company ships the package to my door . This month alone I have about $200 out of my tax return on 1:48 scale airplanes and tanks/vehicles . that’s $200 that could have gone to my FLGS and on to FFG .

There are 3 factions , and at least 7 or 8 different nationalities that could be represented . This is an addition to the market that would make money , and make the world that much cooler .

While yes , the fans are coming up with their own vehicles , there is no real uniformity that way . And some of the stats and rules I have seen are down right wacky . Even if you don’t want to make the models your self , at least publish the stats rules and abilities so that there IS some level to the system .

While I do agree with what you are saying Kris, you have to remember that this game is still in it's infancy and is classified as a board game.

Everyday I keep my fingers crossed as to when the tabletop rules will come out and this game can become something more than just a board game. It is also hard for a game like this to make it's mark when it is surrounded by company's like GW and PP. Much like you I would at least like to see a source book outlaying Basic vehicles and tanks from the era. Though I am not holding my breath for anything like that since we are still only dealing with 2 factions. Maybe once or if ever they come out with the Sino-Soviet army. I will have have more confidence that this game is going to be what I truley would like it to be.

Actually, it is genius to make the walkers and infantry for the game first . . . we can always use other models. I know that the game is exciting and fun to play and as gamers we want everything now . . . but that leaves no excitement for the future. So be patient.

Look to Tamiya,Dragon 1/48th scale models for the mundane.

They have it all regular troops,tanks,planes and there are alot of seconary after market brass etch,barrels,proper sized 50 cals,pioneer tools you name it.

But I also made a post saying the mundane should have cards that you can download online for tanks,jeeps,ect.

One thing I like in this game is the official on line resources. But we should have more, more images, more cards, more 3d paper stuff, more story...

actually guys , i realize the game is new , but ATM , there isnt even a mention of plans to release the mundanes . and being classified as a board game has nothing to do with anything . as i have said before , i would rather avoid the table top rules because the game is just fine as is . the only dif between the game with a grid and without a grid are the level of complication losing the grid brings , the perception of the players who some how cant see past the lines , and the simplification that the grid brings which avoids arguements and cheating . i havent had a single person here who played or watched any of the game i have run or played in complain about the grid , to the contrary thay have all thought it was a great idea .

and i know about all that stuff big will , but those models get kinda pricy

and if you look at adding metal barrels and such , the price for a single model skyrockets . add to that that this is for a GAME . buying all those models from other sellers , doesnt support the game store that supports me by providing play space and such , and it doesnt support the GAME itself by prviding funds to FFG or DG .

they wouldnt even have to produce all the models all themselves . an example . i can go to the hobby lobby and buy a TESTORS 1:48 quickbuild kit for a corsair , spitfire , mustang or huricane for between 10 and 14 bucks . they require no glue just 4 or 6 screws and the screwdriver comes in the box , and are heavy duty enough to be handled and are already painted/decaled .

now whats ironic about this is that i can get the EXACT same kit online from retailers who are selling NEW RAY toys sets , BUT if i buy the new ray set i can get those same planes and they ALSO have D520's and BF109's . TESTORS just doesnt offer the last 2 (i have a retailer set of 12 planes, 2 of each , on the way ) . its the EXACT same model , just a different box with testors logo on it . these come from retailers/distributors that buy from newrays US branch . if you get the kits from newrays HONGKONG home office , they also offer mig3 and zeros so you have 8 different planes , with 2 different paint jobs available for each .

even though i dont see using them all the time , they also make great scenery and objectives for missions .

now i my self like the idea of biplanes in the game . the idea being that with the war stretched out , materials are at a premium so biplanes using so much wood and fabric aswell as less highly demanded engines and gear . the biplanes allow the powers to stretch out their abilities to control and patrol territory asweall as they are perfect for relegation to client states . its not a huge stretch as there were some biplanes used in WW2 , it wasnt ALL about speed and altitude . new ray makes a 1:48 biplanes with one british ,one french , and 2 different german planes . same deal as above .

if DG and FFG went in to the hong kong office and made the order and just had their logo put on the box and a card inserted , they are ready to go , and enter distribution into GAME stores , and bring money into FFG .

the same could be done with the vehicles as there are or were alteast a few companies making 1:48 dicast or plastic vehicles . they could either go to them to produce them , or see about buying the molds and making them them selves .

like i said above , i have spent about $200 on ebay and amazon buying 1:48 planes and vehicles . that money went to sellers and shipping , none of it went to DG or FFG or my FLGS , and with alot of jacked up shipping prices i didnt get a whole ton of stuff for it :(

You are correct FFG does lose alot of money that way.

There are things they should be making like for less than $15 I get a Tamiya sandbags and barricades set that comes with 8 realistic tanks traps

80 sandbags,6 ruined brick wall sections,and 3 wood log tank traps.

Just that kit alone makes the game alot better looking.

The Tamiya kits seem like a bargin after buying nothing but GW stuff for sooo long.

exactly ,and i am sure i am not the only person scouring ebay and amazon for such items . the nature of this game type , the market it attracts , and the wierd war genre encourage people to go out and look for fillers . i am not suggesting that they flood the field right away with all of the mundanes , or even that they make every single vehicle out there , but putting out a jeep and shwimmwagen , would go miles to add to the game , then a few months later , half tracks , and say one light tank . each side . if they did jeeps/schwimwagons , large troop trucks , halftrack , and say one tank from each weight class , they could do them in kits similar to the walker kits where they come with multiple cards , and the parts necessary to make different varients . same with the airplanes

and there is ONE saving grace to playing the germans in this regard , i refuse to pay up to $40 (not including shipping ) for a single simple 1:48 jeep . the schimwagens and kuble wagons are dirt cheap by comparisson . i would have faith that FFG could put one out for A LOT cheaper .

if they wait untill all the factions are out , then that would mean pushing to release more mundanes , and fewer walkers or alt dust troops . now is the time to start ooking at the OTHER stuff they can put out to fill the fluff , and have more diverse sales . additionaly , there are a few 1:48 scale WW2 games out there , my last roommate played one , and he was in the same frustrated boat in that the vehicles were to expensive because he had to buy models to flesh it out and play . if FFG made some 1:48 mundane vehicles for a reasonable cost , they could cross market them to people playing the other games who like wise want to support their FLGS .

are you using the 1:35 tamia sand bags and baracades , or do they make 1:48 . i am using the 1:35 just because its whats available localy , and isnt that bad looking .

and where can i get a BIG sheet of JUST german symbols for a reasonable price ? all the places i have looked want a seemingly high price for a small sheet that doesnt have just the german symbls . i need to repaint alot of the stuff i bought , and need to replace the german decals .

i would also add to the above , that 1:48 is a standard enough scale , but most of the stuff that the local stores carry in their models section is 1:35 , and we dont have a real model store here in town anymore that carries alot of military models , so i gotta pay for shipping to get it online . while some of the online retaliers do have good product prices , the shipping negates alot of that , and some require you to wait forever while they ship it from asia .

I believe the game is scaled to 1/48 and several of those companies makes 1/48 vehicles and accessories.

The barricade set also comes in 1/48,the 1/35 does work to in a pinch,looks better than the grey dogturd tanktrap that comes with the game :)

The sandbags look great when you put a few on the front of the walker.

Funny thing I used the pioneer tools from my Pershing set(great simple customization) and the Dust models 50cal and gas can are both 1/35 not 1/48 like they should be, so that is something on my finshed model that is bugging the hell out of me.

For now I would just be happy for downloadable Mudane cards.

I would be more likely to go for the more expensive realistic kits anyhow,so I would just like some stats.

They sould know that we were born and bred on 40k so it seems very natural for us to try to make the game play as such to at least add more varitey.

This rules system is pretty much table top it just plays on big ole tiles instead of a 3-d table but the tiles have mersurements so if a tile is 6 inches and you gun hits up to 3 tiles it has a range of 18 inches.

The one bad thing about the tiles . . . the squares in the tiles are 9x9cm, which makes the tiles 27cm square. that is roughly 11inches by 11 inches. Each square with in the tile is 3 7/8" by 3 7/8". Which makes it difficult to translate into easy measurements. My suggestion would be to make the squares 4 inches by 4 inches or 10cm by 10cm . . . 12inch square tiles. Just my suggestion.

CombatRanger said:

The one bad thing about the tiles . . . the squares in the tiles are 9x9cm, which makes the tiles 27cm square. that is roughly 11inches by 11 inches. Each square with in the tile is 3 7/8" by 3 7/8". Which makes it difficult to translate into easy measurements. My suggestion would be to make the squares 4 inches by 4 inches or 10cm by 10cm . . . 12inch square tiles. Just my suggestion.

actually i think they are 3&5/8of actual square not including the dividing lines which is just over 3.5 .

if they made the squares larger , it would actually shrink the battle field (in the long run ) since you would have fewer squares across the field if you tried to add more tiles . a 12 inch tile may not seem like that big a deal until you realize a 3X3 board is now 3 inches longer and wider , a 4X4 now 4 inches wider and longer . so a regular 3X3 board now requires an additional 168 square inches of table surafce , a 4X4 tile game now needs 240 more square inches of table surface , and it keeps scaling up like that by just increasing each tile by 1 inch in width and length .

and shrinking the squares smaller than 3.5 would result in needing to shrink the scale of the game to allow the squades to fit appropriatly .

i accept the metic measures since this game was created outside the US . and 1/8 of an inch isnt a big deal for the grid size .

I have experienced the exact opposite problem. Finally the metric system is adopted in miniatures games. lengua.gif

I wasn't suggesting lowering the grid size . . . I was suggesting that converting the game into tabletop rules, for simpli city, it needs to use a round number for measurements. 10cm would be fine by me . . . which is only one more cm than the grids are now. So if you have a 4 range . . . everyone knows that it is 40cm. And I would suggest that making the table too large ( more than 4x4) would greatly overpower the U weapons and terribly handicap the range 1 weapons.

actually out standard games are on a table atleast 4X6 feet using our grided sheets that can cover an area of almost 6X8 feet . the U range weapons and 1 range weapons are fine aslong as you add in terrain that blocks or gives cover .

i really dont understand this whole concern about U range . there are plenty of other games that have super long ranged weapons such as WH40K where the battle field is is generaly 4X6 feet with weapons that can have ranges of 60+inches . people who play WH40k dont insist that the game cant be played or that the stats need to be lowered , they set up the battle field to give them cover , and maneuver to negate the long ranged advantage . and i dont know if they still have the U range weapons in 40K apoc games , but back when i was in first and second ed there were some weapons that were unlimited range , same thing , add in terrain and maneuver to counter . the only time U range weapons should be so over powering as many suggest is if you are playing on a super wide open field of say 6X6 and no terrain at all in the middle .

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/591843/my-terrain-projectsand

and i still count myself among those that are happy with the grid .

Here is the 1/48 Brick Wall ,Sand Bag, and Barricade kit with a HotDog for scale

006-35.jpg