Water and its flow...

By Tyrichter, in Red November

Greetings, fellow gnomes. I looked up the forums about Red November, but I´m still uncertain how water flows on the sub. I found out, that:

1) Bruno Faidutti´s rules differ slightly from FFG rules. Some say, that opening hatch from lightly flooded room to heavily flooded does nothing. Some say, that water between these two equalizes (both go down to small flood). So my question is primarily for the players: how do you play it and why? Ups and downs of both options? I play the second option (equalizing), because I find it easier. In sticky situations you just need to open the door and get out, or to flush the water to the other room. And if the water would be in most of the rooms of the sub (which usually is) a single heavy flood would create very unpleasant obstacle, which cant be destroyed in less than two rounds. In fact, you wouldn´t be doing anything else than pumping out some water...

2) Is it possible to: move, repair, move and then take something from the storage? In this order. I guess not, because taking an item is an action, and there can be only one action per round, but I´m asking just to clarify that.

3) Can a low water be reflowed to other room? And what happens to that room? Example 1: Room 1 has low flood token, room 2 fire token. If I reflow the water from 1 to room 2 (opening hatch 1 minute, reflowing water 0 minutes), will the fire be replaced by low water token and room 1 dry?

Thanks for the answers.

Tyrichter said:

Greetings, fellow gnomes. I looked up the forums about Red November, but I´m still uncertain how water flows on the sub. I found out, that:

1) Bruno Faidutti´s rules differ slightly from FFG rules. Some say, that opening hatch from lightly flooded room to heavily flooded does nothing. Some say, that water between these two equalizes (both go down to small flood). So my question is primarily for the players: how do you play it and why? Ups and downs of both options? I play the second option (equalizing), because I find it easier. In sticky situations you just need to open the door and get out, or to flush the water to the other room. And if the water would be in most of the rooms of the sub (which usually is) a single heavy flood would create very unpleasant obstacle, which cant be destroyed in less than two rounds. In fact, you wouldn´t be doing anything else than pumping out some water...

2) Is it possible to: move, repair, move and then take something from the storage? In this order. I guess not, because taking an item is an action, and there can be only one action per round, but I´m asking just to clarify that.

3) Can a low water be reflowed to other room? And what happens to that room? Example 1: Room 1 has low flood token, room 2 fire token. If I reflow the water from 1 to room 2 (opening hatch 1 minute, reflowing water 0 minutes), will the fire be replaced by low water token and room 1 dry?

Thanks for the answers.

1) I play with Bruno Faidutti's rules, which is the rule that is originally included with the game. The updated PDF rules are what changed. I play by the harder rule for a couple of reasons: A) because it is Bruno's design, so I will play it as he intended, and B) making the game easier is just cheating us out of a better experience. Since it is us vs. the game, making the game easier is like deciding to play against a child in a game of chess. Sure you will probably win, but is the win that meaningful?

2) Move, repair, move, take items cannot be done in a single turn. Not only are you limited to one action per turn, but you have to move before the action, you do not move again after the action. So what you described must be done over two turns.

3) Low water cannot be reflowed. Only high water gets reflowed. The only way to remove low water is to pump the room which removes it completely.

Thanks alot for the information.

I have a related question. We had a guy tonight that was in a room that flooded after his turn completed. The adjoining room has low water. Can he exit the room or does he just die? I realize the water can't equalize, but in the revised edition the rules don't seem that clear about weather he can open the hatch and escape to a low water room.

Thank!