Shuffling a "0 Card" dead pile

By Masi, in 2. AGoT Rules Discussion

Thinking about what Ktom said of having "hands" of 0 cards (I can´t find it to quote), I´ve this thought, but I want to be sure...

- Eddard Stark dies and goes to the top of the deck.

- Benjen Stark dies, and there´s no dead character in the dead pile

- Then the "dead pile" is shuffled, so in fact, the House deck is shuffled, (as with showing a 0 card hand, a 0 card dead pile is shuffled) so Eddard is lost.

Is this right?

Yup. Having an empty dead pile when Benjen is killed doesn't stop you from shuffling the 0 cards into your deck. As you say, the end result is that the play deck is shuffled without adding cards to it.

ktom said:

Yup. Having an empty dead pile when Benjen is killed doesn't stop you from shuffling the 0 cards into your deck. As you say, the end result is that the play deck is shuffled without adding cards to it.

So then Benjen is not added to the dead pile before you shuffle it back into the dead pile?

MMMbye said:

So then Benjen is not added to the dead pile before you shuffle it back into the dead pile?

Correct. Remember that when any action takes place (player or game), no cards are removed from play and put in their various out-of-play areas (like the dead pile) until after ALL Responses to that action have resolved. So Benjen is still on the table, not in the dead pile, when you trigger his Response, meaning that he is never included in the shuffling activated by his own ability.