Asenscion, House Rules and Initiative.

By Face Eater, in Dark Heresy House Rules

I'm thinking of starting up my game again with ascended characters, and these are the Home Rules I'll be using, which are largely based on previous threads. I've not played it as asenscion before so these issues might be completely overshadowed.

1. Full auto bursts and semi-auto bursts both inflict 1 extra hit per degree of success at up to the weapons range, targets beyond this range take an axtra hit per two degrees of success.
2. (from DW) When fired on Single Shot the mimimum damage roll for a single D10 is at least equal to the number of success on the attack roll.
3. Las weapons reduce all negative modifiers for range, target moving and firing one handed by -10.

These are just to make SA weapons more effective comparable, they are bit high level to feel the effect of the Las buff but I can see one being a stormtrooper. I already make people using pistols in melee use WS and otherwise treat it as a CC attack.

The only thing that is still a sticking point is initiative. One player, with high initiative, complains a lot. I already allow for delaying as a half action, anyone else use any other rules or have experience?

Whats the problem with initiative exactly?

The problem as it was explained to me, was that high initiatives (especially for characters that roll consistantly high initiatives) was feeling penalised in some situations where enemies were available untill their won lower initiative and the options for preping for it are limited, overwatch needing a full turm to set up then having -20 and only being allowed to delay half an action.

This was the same character for whom I nerfed the cr@p out of accurate damage, so you can see where he was going with that.

Face Eater said:

I'm thinking of starting up my game again with ascended characters, and these are the Home Rules I'll be using, which are largely based on previous threads. I've not played it as asenscion before so these issues might be completely overshadowed.

1. Full auto bursts and semi-auto bursts both inflict 1 extra hit per degree of success at up to the weapons range, targets beyond this range take an axtra hit per two degrees of success.
2. (from DW) When fired on Single Shot the mimimum damage roll for a single D10 is at least equal to the number of success on the attack roll.
3. Las weapons reduce all negative modifiers for range, target moving and firing one handed by -10.

These are just to make SA weapons more effective comparable, they are bit high level to feel the effect of the Las buff but I can see one being a stormtrooper. I already make people using pistols in melee use WS and otherwise treat it as a CC attack.

The only thing that is still a sticking point is initiative. One player, with high initiative, complains a lot. I already allow for delaying as a half action, anyone else use any other rules or have experience?

Face Eater said:

1. Seems fine (although I inittially thought you buffed both modes). I allow 1 extra hit per DoS at all ranges though, the problem is generally on point-blank and short range anyway. I like the fact that the listed weapon range actually matter for something other than setting Short Range.

2. Seems fine. I use a similar rule, that allows single-shot weapons to deal 1 extra damage per DoS (max 3). This both raises the minmum and the maximum, which I think is fine since Single-Shot is underpowered anyway except for Accurate weapons. And yes, the damage does not stack with the extra damage from the Accurate trait. After extensive playtesting this rule works very well. Pretty cool to be able to do some extra damage with stub revolvers and hand cannons.

3. I agree, the problem is not initative but a lack of general "postpone iniative" action like we have in D&D. This means if you are fast you could be penalized rather than being able to time it and act when YOU want. In my game I allow one to simply lower your iniative, this new initiative remains for the combat and does not reset next round. Also I don't allow you to interrupt others with this postpone action, that's the prerogative of the Delay action.

1) Weapons with Storm trait fixes this.

Letrii said:

Uhm, no. He's talking about normal Semi-Auto weapons not hitting enough, and full auto too good at long range. At least I assume that is the reason for the house rule. Storm Weapons get's extra hits in addition to hits per DoS on autofire. They simply hit double.

Friend of the Dork said:

Letrii said:

Uhm, no. He's talking about normal Semi-Auto weapons not hitting enough, and full auto too good at long range. At least I assume that is the reason for the house rule. Storm Weapons get's extra hits in addition to hits per DoS on autofire. They simply hit double.

What he said :)

Storm weapons are still king at most ranges people fight at.

Guess I misunderstand the intent of houserule when I first read it.