questions before buying

By snibe_8, in Anima: The Card Game

I've been considering picking up this game because it seems like the style of game we like, and we are always looking for good co-op games, but before I do I have a couple of questions.

Even though it's 2-5 people, does it translate ok if you play by yourself?

Because I will be playing with others mostly when I'm at work (we often have a lot of downtime), will the game being interrupted be an issue? Can we stop and pick it up again easily enough? I've found, with some games, we just tend to pack it up because we'd rather start over or just call it quits for a while.

If we do pack it up for a while, would we be able to pick up where we left off easily enough?

I'd really appreciate any feedback and suggestions.

First thing I've to tell you is that Anima Card Game ISN'T a cooperative game, but a PvP, although the PvP interaction is rather limited compared to other similar games.

The game has no rules for "solo" play, although I guess it might be somewhat playable. I believe I even tried it once. it surely loses a lot of strategic deepness.

I believe it's pretty much easy to pack-up and recover after a day-long interruption. The game is pretty easy with few general rules and it isn't even too long. The addition of the first expansion set (Beyond Good and Evil) introduced some very nice news to the game and simply by the addition of new cards, makes it harder to reach a stalemate (something which happens sometimes with the base game if you're playing in either 2 or 5 players). I believe that with the upcoming new expansion (Twilight of The Gods), we shall have something new and interesting.

I hope my reply was somewhat useful to you.

Thanks for the info. It'll definitely be a help. I'm fairly new to the card based games though, so I gotta ask, "what does PvP stand for?" I guess I wasn't clear when I said co-op. I was more just meaning that it's not where you're trying to take out your opponents, such as Game of Thrones, because we have a lot of those kind of games already. I'm more familiar with deck building, and more combat based card games. Thanks again.

I'm guessing person vs. person?

You're guessing well (player VS player actually, I believe). Anima isn't all about kicking other player's to death, but still you have to compete to save the world before they do, so some beating sometimes has to occur...

Thanks for the clarification.

Yea, once twilight of the gods comes out, the decks(Locations, Advantage, Arcane, Characters, and Encounters) will get dramatically better and more variable. I usually play each expansion on its own, and the games are more progressively put together.

Set two gave us, Blessings, Curses, and Arcane Characters. so the assumption is that Set 3 will fill the wholes where set two was lacking. only a hand full of arcane characters was rather weak because smart players would end up with 2 arcane characters in their crew and other players would never be able to see them.

You can get 2 arcane characters by recruiting 3 normal characters, then go to a location with Arcane Recruiting for your 4th character, then go back to a normal location to recruit an arcane by killing off a weaker normal character. remember that you must have 3 normal characters in order to Arcane Recruit, so after this, your team should be insanely beefed up.

I don't believe you can kill your characters to recruit others AND since you must have 3 Normal characters (non-Arcane) to recruit an Arcane, I don't think you can by your trick have two Arcanes in your group. We never allowed such trick, but I believe it is already against the official ruling...

Yeah, you can only ever have one Arcane character in your party.

I just bought Beyond Good and Evil the other day and definitely haven't noticed anything that would allow 2 arcanes. The only exceptions to any of the arcane rules Ascension and Tsukikage allowing you to trade out a character for a new one (Ascension specifically a regular to an arcane, and Tsukikage any character for a new character). The other card allowing a deviation from the normal rules being Iron Finger which allows you to get an arcane character with less than normal characters in your party.