In need of a few rules clarifications

By NezziR, in Battles of Westeros

My wife and I just finished our first game of 'Battles of Westeros'. I purchased this game because I really wanted 'Battlelore' and it's a bit hard to get. Now that I've played, I'm perfectly satisfied with BoW!

The game ran very smoothly. We had to look up a few rules, but for the most part it was very understandable. We did have a few 'odd situation' questions though and I was hoping the community would help me find my answers.

1. In the FAQ, it mentions 'Spending a defend token to counterattack'. I can find no reference to a 'defend token' and I can't find any reference to a cost for counterattacking. It reads like it's a reaction and has no cost. Am I missing something here? At this time, we are simply treating counterattacks (such as from troops with Stalwart) as a 'reaction' that costs no order tokens.
  2. If a commander loses all the figures in his unit, does he still retain that unit types abilities? For example, if hero (on foot) is commanding a unit of Kennelmasters, and the Kennelmasters are destroyed (leaving the hero alone), does the hero still get to make the Kennelmaster ranged attack? Our ruling so far is yes, he continues to use the abilities of the unit he was commanding.
  3. If a command card has two items (and a tactic) on it, and each item costs 1 command token, do you have to purchase them both? If so, do you have to use both items, or is one optional? If optional, do you have to apply it to all units commanded or can you apply it to some and not others? It appears that you pay the full cost and you can choose to apply the 2nd order to no units or all units (but not a combination).
  4. If a you play a command card and the commander you choose to activate the card is not one of the units you elect to command, is that commander considered finished for the turn (i.e. his banner is spun)? Our ruling thus far is no. If the commander is not commanded, his flag is not turned.

Thanks in advance,

Nez

1. The defend token is part of the Wardens of the North section of the FAQ and isn't something in the base game.

2. The rules are simple by default. They ARE a kennelmaster unit or whatever. Rules still apply.

3. You can spend command tokens to buy both commands or just one I think. And you don't have to use the tactic.

4. No, commanding and doing an action are two different things.

Many of the weird little problems that pop up are from overthinking the rules. Just follow them very literally and assume it's the most simple explanation and you are usually correct. :)