Damage and wounds suffered

By Drglord, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Another situation came up last time and i was wondering. Can you suffer more wounds than you currently have? Meaning if i get hit for 10 damage and have 1 wound left and have a cloack that prevents wounds do i roll 10 dices or just 1?

Now that i think of it the answer must really be i roll 10 dices since if it is just 1 it means that as long as you have 1 fatigue and the ghost armor you are immune. Anyway i would like to verify it even though i think it's really answer A.

the card states

When you suffer 1 or more wounds, roll 1 power die for each wound suffered. Cancel 1 wound for each power enhancement you roll.

If a monster does 10 damage to you, then you subtract the armor value (for this example lets say 2) so you are dealt 8 wounds. You roll 8 power dice, then after that you can subtract from what with Ghost Armor too by spending fatigue.

Drglord said:

Another situation came up last time and i was wondering. Can you suffer more wounds than you currently have? Meaning if i get hit for 10 damage and have 1 wound left and have a cloack that prevents wounds do i roll 10 dices or just 1?

Now that i think of it the answer must really be i roll 10 dices since if it is just 1 it means that as long as you have 1 fatigue and the ghost armor you are immune. Anyway i would like to verify it even though i think it's really answer A.

The question is phrased poorly, but the conclusion is correct.

A figure cannot suffer more wounds than it currently has because as soon as it suffers wounds equal to its total health it dies and is removed from the table (soon to be resurrected if it's a hero we're talking about.)

However

Being unable to suffer more wounds than you have does not mean that you ignore excess wounds, especially not if you have something that could theoretically stop them from being dealt. Items like the cloaks and ghost armor prevent wounds from being dealt, as such they must by necessity function before the wounds are actually dealt. After armor, but before wounds are fully resolved. If the first incoming wound is negated by the cloak (or anything else) then the figure must still contend with the second incoming wound, and the third, and so on. Until all wounds have been prevented or dealt as appropriate. If the number of wounds actually dealt exceeds the figure's current remaining health, then obviously he will die.

You still roll 10 dice if an attack dealt 10 wounds (after armor, etc), but you can roll them one at a time and stop after you die, if you really want to.

It's also worth remembering abilities like Undying (in vanilla) that continue to track wounds dealt beyond the figure's total health. Most of the time wounds in excess of health are irrelevant, but some abilities might make them important.

Steve-O said:

A figure cannot suffer more wounds than it currently has because as soon as it suffers wounds equal to its total health it dies and is removed from the table (soon to be resurrected if it's a hero we're talking about.)

I disagree. You can suffer lots of wounds. You die when the last wound token is removed. But once you die, unless you have (vanilla) undying, that is it, nothing carries over.

DJitD pg 16
When a hero loses his last wound token, he is killed.
DJitD pg11
For each wound a hero suffers, the player must remove one wound token from his hero sheet and return it to the pile of unused tokens in the common play area, making change if necessary. When a hero removes the last wound token from his hero sheet, he has been killed (see “Monster and Hero Death,” page 16).
Read the combat example immediately above that. The wounds are calculated as a 'number' by (damage - armour).
i) The hero suffers that many wounds, regardless of how many wound tokens he has left - at this stage wound tokens have not entered the picture.
ii) Then, he may prevent wounds with shields, armor specials, or other effects. He can't do this before he knows how many (if any) wounds he suffered. Any wounds he prevents were not suffered. Acual wounds = (damage-armour)-prevention
iii) Any wounds not prevented cause the removal of wound tokens. Removing the last wound token kills a hero.

This makes a difference when, for example, a leeching monster is healing. If it's attack does 4 wounds (after prevention), then the monster can heal 4 wounds even if the hero only has 1 wound token left . The attack still did 4 wounds , even if only 1 wound token was removed.
Nothing in the rules says that wounds that do not cause removal of a wound token are no longer wounds. The rules do say the X wounds were caused by the attack, even when the hero has <X wound tokens left.

Corbon said:

This makes a difference when, for example, a leeching monster is healing. If it's attack does 4 wounds (after prevention), then the monster can heal 4 wounds even if the hero only has 1 wound token left . The attack still did 4 wounds , even if only 1 wound token was removed.
Nothing in the rules says that wounds that do not cause removal of a wound token are no longer wounds. The rules do say the X wounds were caused by the attack, even when the hero has <X wound tokens left.

I think you are wrong. The leech text explicitly says "For every wound token lost due to a Leech attack, the target also loses 1 fatigue (or suffers 1 additional wound, ignoring armor, if the target is out of fatigue) and the attacker is healed of 1 wound."

So the hero must lose TOKENS for the healing of the monster. If it does 10 wounds and the hero has 1 wound token and no fatigue, the monter regain only 1 wound.

Corbon said:

I disagree. You can suffer lots of wounds. You die when the last wound token is removed. But once you die, unless you have (vanilla) undying, that is it, nothing carries over.

I respect your difference of opinion, however I don't see how anything you said would result in a mechanically different end result if we were each playing by our own interpretation in the same constructed situation.

gran_orco said:

Corbon said:

I think you are wrong. The leech text explicitly says "For every wound token lost due to a Leech attack, the target also loses 1 fatigue (or suffers 1 additional wound, ignoring armor, if the target is out of fatigue) and the attacker is healed of 1 wound."

So the hero must lose TOKENS for the healing of the monster. If it does 10 wounds and the hero has 1 wound token and no fatigue, the monter regain only 1 wound.

Yes, wrong about the leech - always happens if you don't check something. sonrojado.gif

Since that was the main mechanical difference, we can just move along here now, nothing to see... gran_risa.gif