RtL - Eldritch Lore

By letsdance, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Increases hand size by +1.

even if it was hand size +10 i would see little sense in it (other than being able to cycyle the deck faster). is there any use for this or just a design flaw / useless upgrade?

I never picked it up as there were always other things I wanted, but the sense in it is that it lets you hold onto options longer.

letsdance said:

Increases hand size by +1.

even if it was hand size +10 i would see little sense in it (other than being able to cycyle the deck faster). is there any use for this or just a design flaw / useless upgrade?

I agree with the sentiment that it's mostly useless, at least the way I play. Some people might like it for the ability to hold onto more cards (maybe they think it makes it "easier" to get a combo together, or maybe they just like having a hand full of cards to lord over the heroes with.) In terms of optimal strategy this card probably isn't high on the list, but just because a single card is less useful doesn't mean its existence is a flaw. They can't all be winners, after all.

It lets you hold one extra card in LT encounters. That's the best thing about it.

Badend said:

It lets you hold one extra card in LT encounters. That's the best thing about it.

Note that you can start a Lt encounter with more cards than your hand size. There is no rule that limits the number of cards you start with in your hand.

The only time your hand size limits you is during your Step 1 'discard down to hand size'. Given that with that many cards almost certainly some cards will have been chosen for the express purpose of discarding for threat anyway, Eldritch Lore really doesn't help in Lt encounters at all. It is pretty close to the worst upgrade there is - probably 2nd worst behind the upgrade that forces (allows) the heroes to roll one extra power dice for encounters. cool.gif

Corbon said:

Badend said:

Note that you can start a Lt encounter with more cards than your hand size. There is no rule that limits the number of cards you start with in your hand.

The only time your hand size limits you is during your Step 1 'discard down to hand size'. Given that with that many cards almost certainly some cards will have been chosen for the express purpose of discarding for threat anyway, Eldritch Lore really doesn't help in Lt encounters at all. It is pretty close to the worst upgrade there is - probably 2nd worst behind the upgrade that forces (allows) the heroes to roll one extra power dice for encounters. cool.gif

Ah, but per the FAQ:

Q: Does the Overlord's normal hand-size limit (8 in most
cases) apply when selecting cards with Treachery? Is he
strictly limited to selecting only his hand-limit worth of
cards?
A: Yes. He may only draw up to his hand-limit. The
Overlord may not draw over his hand limit of cards and
then immediately discard any additional cards.

There is a rule to limit hand size. The OL can only start with 8 cards in an encounter. Since he can get 9 points of treachery, that can limit his hand options.

Badend said:

Corbon said:

Badend said:

Ah, but per the FAQ:

Q: Does the Overlord's normal hand-size limit (8 in most
cases) apply when selecting cards with Treachery? Is he
strictly limited to selecting only his hand-limit worth of
cards?
A: Yes. He may only draw up to his hand-limit. The
Overlord may not draw over his hand limit of cards and
then immediately discard any additional cards.

There is a rule to limit hand size. The OL can only start with 8 cards in an encounter. Since he can get 9 points of treachery, that can limit his hand options.

Fair cop guv, I was wrong.