Newbie Question15:empty spaces(solved)

By pusapapa, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

We know the rule about movement that hero&monster must end their movement in an empty space.The empty space means an square map pile that nothing on it (such as money pile marker?staircase token,etc) ?

pusapapa said:

We know the rule about movement that hero&monster must end their movement in an empty space.The empty space means an square map pile that nothing on it (such as money pile marker?staircase token,etc) ?

It is very badly written, but the apparent intent there is the space must be empty of figures . That is the context of that rule and there is plenty of evidence elsewhere that heroes and/or monsters can end their turns on all sorts of non-empty spaces that do not include figures.
eg:
- most encounter markers do something when a figure ends it's turn on the encounter marker
- pit traps will often cause a figure to end it's turn in a pit space because it has no capability left to exit the pit space
- figures who do not move off damaging effects (such as lava, an obstacle) suffer the effects at the end of their turn as though they have moved on - clearly they are ending their turn in a space with a lava prop, and did so the previous turn too!
- the effect of the ice obstacle is to make a figure end its turn there (if it roles a surge on a power dice) - so clearly it can;t be illegal for a figure to end its turn there!

In summary, only figures count for that particular rule, although flyers and acrobats also have a special rule that prevents them from ending their movement in spaces that normally prevent entry.

Pusapapa , where are you from? Which is your native language?

gran_orco said:

Pusapapa , where are you from? Which is your native language?

I am a china.I knew my english was poor.But I like the game.So the rules make me more difficult to understand

My english is not well,but I played some computer game such as Diablo?wow?magicka,etc.So it became easy tha I read game rules even it's in english.But if the rules translated in china,if player is a boy/girl haven't expensive for RPG game,I must read it carefully.I think it is not clear for some player,if orderly read the rulebook.After I skimed whole rulebook,I found there are so many question when actully play the game.Then,I decide that I must draw a chart for some important points like the list shown on Pg16 of rulebook.

I think it's better clear that someone can drawn a chart for some important points like the simply sheet in below

when OL spawn monster

space that monster may be spawned:

the space containing treasure token(potion?chest?money pile?relic)

the space containing encounter token

space that monster may not be spawned:

pusapapa said:

when OL spawn monster

Monsters must be spawned in spaces that are actually empty (IIRC) and are not in line of sight of any hero. That means devoid of any tokens or terrain (exception: I think Corrupted Terrain is okay for spawning, by explicit FAQage/GLOAQage.)

However, I do agree with Corbon's statement concerning ending movement - although the book says "empty space" they really meant "empty of figures."

Steve-O said:

pusapapa said:

when OL spawn monster

Monsters must be spawned in spaces that are actually empty (IIRC) and are not in line of sight of any hero. That means devoid of any tokens or terrain (exception: I think Corrupted Terrain is okay for spawning, by explicit FAQage/GLOAQage.)

However, I do agree with Corbon's statement concerning ending movement - although the book says "empty space" they really meant "empty of figures."

I only have the DescentJITD,so I organized the rule myself.I treat the space none token on is empty space.I think hero&monster safely end their movement on the space containing potion?chest?encounter?money pile?glyph(activated only by hero)

Corbon said:

In summary, only figures count for that particular rule, although flyers and acrobats also have a special rule that prevents them from ending their movement in spaces that normally prevent entry.

as Corbon said, the space should be empty of figures and I would add also empty of rubble, water, etc.

in general I think the rule for figures ending their movement should read that if a figure end its movement on a space, that space must not contain any element that blocks movement (like other figures, rubble, water etc.)

Avanc said:

Corbon said:

as Corbon said, the space should be empty of figures and I would add also empty of rubble, water, etc.

in general I think the rule for figures ending their movement should read that if a figure end its movement on a space, that space must not contain any element that blocks movement (like other figures, rubble, water etc.)

en I agree.