48. Reinforcement Marker and new areas

By Corbon, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark FAQ Update Discussions

Background:

In RtL the reinforcement marker is returned to "eyes-up" without cost at the beginning of each new dungeon level. While mostly 1 level = 1 area, for Rumour, Legendary and Keep levels this mean that the marker was not reset for each area.
In SoB the rule changed so that teh reinforcement marker is returned "eyes-up" whenever a new area is revealed. This is a small but very significant change for multi-area levels.

Question:

Q. The condition for turning the reinforcement marker in RtL is "new dungeon level". In SoB the condition is "new dungeon level or area". Are these intended to be different?
A1: Yes. Road To Legend and Sea of Blood have different rules sometimes. this is one of those times. In RtL the rule remains for new levels only. In Sea of Blood the rule remains for new areas .
A2: No. Use the SoB rules for both RtL and SoB. That means in all Advanced Campaigns the marker can be flipped back whenever a new area is revealed.
A3: No. It was an error that this was changed in SoB. Use the RtL rules in this case. That means you can flip back the marker only every new level .

There is no reason for it to be changed because the levels are combined (levels from RtL are used in SoB and viceversa). I think I recall an FAQ change (or something like that) which said that token was fliped to the open eyes with every new area being reveled. Not sure, however.

I agree this is unnecessary, but at least 3 people who are here making an effort have requested it be put in despite it being pointed out that the rules are quite clear. So it is here.