New game in Runebound universe

By TheStranger, in Runebound

Did anyone notice that the announcement for Realms of Terrinoth mentioned the announcement of a "surprising" new game based in the Terrinoth world. Any speculation on what that might be?

TheStranger said:

Did anyone notice that the announcement for Realms of Terrinoth mentioned the announcement of a "surprising" new game based in the Terrinoth world. Any speculation on what that might be?

I have no idea what the game itself will be, but it is being designed by Corey (of Runewars fame) so I would expect the rules will be reasonably tight and the game will probably be designed without consideration for expansions. That's not to say there won't be any, just don't hold your breath.

Ok, since no one wants to speculate, let me try.

Guess1: It will be a farming game set in Terrinoth. Everyone has their own farm board and has to upgrade their hut, grow warpwood trees, and raise beastmen.

Guess2: You will build camel routes through the deserts of Al-Kalim, but watch out for the sand-storm, it can blow your camels right into Margath's mouth. The game will come with many multi-colored camels with a character card for each, a sand-storm marker, and a desert board.

Guess3: You are a merchant in Terrinoth trading goods such as runes, armor, and weapons between the free cities. You have to watch supply and demand in each city and place your cube.. I mean fully painted character mini on the right spot when its your turn. There will of course be auctions and the land of Terrinoth will be reproduced in beautiful full color on a rondel. Will you be the first to collect the most victory poin... I mean gold and be hailed as the greatest merchant in the land?

I actually like guess number three, but I don't hold a lot of hope that it will be what comes.

It sounds like you're expecting something Euro-ish, which certainly seems possible. Maybe it would be a Silver Line-style game?

I'd really like to see Fantasy Flight do something with Borderlands, but thematically I don't think that would work very well in Terrinoth. And as a big board game, it could get confused with Runewars (though in terms of gameplay, they're really completely different).

Here's my guess: They just dropped all their Warcraft games. Maybe they've rethemed one of them for Terrinoth? My guess is that they've redone World of Warcraft: The Boardgame. As a team-versus-team game, it doesn't really have an equivalent among the Terrinoth games. It wasn't designed by Corey Konieczka, but I suppose he could have been the one to rework it.

Then again, maybe we'll get to see the Terrinoth heroes in Wiz-War. ;)

Lindsey said:

Here's my guess: They just dropped all their Warcraft games. Maybe they've rethemed one of them for Terrinoth? My guess is that they've redone World of Warcraft: The Boardgame. As a team-versus-team game, it doesn't really have an equivalent among the Terrinoth games. It wasn't designed by Corey Konieczka, but I suppose he could have been the one to rework it.

That's an interesting idea. I've been racking my brain trying to think of another style of game that could incorporate the heroes (because every Terrinoth game needs to have the heroes =P) that doesn't step on the toes of one of the four already out there, and I've been coming up blank. A re-theme of WoW:tBG could indeed cover that base.

I suppose some kind of re-imagining of DiceWars isn't out of the realm of possibility either. What with Runewars being the "spiritual successor" of BattleMist, it does make a certain amount of sense.

Lindsey said:

No cookie for me. It's a deck building game:

www.boardgamegeek.com/article/6349968#6349968

Yawn. How many deck building games do we really need?

BTW. In case anyone didn't catch on, my game "guesses" were a joke, I was really hoping for something Ameritrashy. Oh, well.

TheStranger said:

Yawn. How many deck building games do we really need?

BTW. In case anyone didn't catch on, my game "guesses" were a joke, I was really hoping for something Ameritrashy. Oh, well.

I agree with the stranger. This to me is a boring direction for the runebound series to head.

And you know we wont see too many cool new pictures on the cards because ffg will just reuse all the art from their other runebound games.

TheStranger said:

Too bad. They were some of the best notions shared. And some of the best games rest between Euro and Ameritrash. Deck building ain't one of them. Then again, after a intergrally meaningless absorption of Dungeonquest into Terrinoth (like what happened to Talisman 3E and the Warhammer world), I wasn't holding out for anything special in a new T-game... and Runewars, though not to my taste, set the bar pretty high.