Newbie question9: Figure(solved)

By pusapapa, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

What means the word "figures" in rulebook except plastic monster&hero?

pusapapa said:

"Figure" is the official game term. So things in the rules apply to 'figures' not to 'plastic miniatures'.
Mostly it is the plastic stuff, but some things are defined as figures by the game even though they are tokens - villagers and Lts (both from Advanced Campaigns, and Avatars as well I guess) are officially 'figures' but are actually tokens (villagers by FAQ ruling and Lts due to being given as an example of figures in the rules).

Corbon said:

pusapapa said:

"Figure" is the official game term. So things in the rules apply to 'figures' not to 'plastic miniatures'.
Mostly it is the plastic stuff, but some things are defined as figures by the game even though they are tokens - villagers and Lts (both from Advanced Campaigns, and Avatars as well I guess) are officially 'figures' but are actually tokens (villagers by FAQ ruling and Lts due to being given as an example of figures in the rules).

So can I comprehend that the figures including all of things(Gold pile token?potion token?prop token,etc) on the board?

pusapapa said:

Corbon said:

pusapapa said:

So can I comprehend that the figures including all of things(Gold pile token?potion token?prop token,etc) on the board?

No, quite the opposite. Only things which are described as figures are figures.

The rules tell us that the plastic miniatures are figures (pg4). They repeatedly refer to hero figures and monster figures. The Advanced Campaign rules tell us that Lts are figures, even though they use tokens. The FAQ tells us that villagers are figures even though they are tokens. At the moment I think that is everything, though I may have missed something.
Most tokens are not figures. Familiars and Companions are not figures. Props and treasures are not figures. Threat and Conquest Tokens are not figures.

figures are things that represent self moving objects ie: monsters, heros, npc's. anything that must be picked up or you must spend movement to otherwise move are objects.

Dwome said:

figures are things that represent self moving objects ie: monsters, heros, npc's. anything that must be picked up or you must spend movement to otherwise move are objects.

I believe this is incorrect. Familiars are not figures, for example.

Also, while sharks (SoB) are not referred to as figures, they should probably be treated as figures for the vast majority of things. At a minimum they should take wounds and be killed like figures, else their rules fall apart. Likewise for tentacles.

Sharks are monsters and all monsters are treated as figures (at least the term is used synonymously for both).

It´s not that clear for tentacles.

Corbon said:

pusapapa said:

Corbon said:

pusapapa said:

The rules tell us that the plastic miniatures are figures (pg4). They repeatedly refer to hero figures and monster figures. The Advanced Campaign rules tell us that Lts are figures, even though they use tokens. The FAQ tells us that villagers are figures even though they are tokens. At the moment I think that is everything, though I may have missed something.
Most tokens are not figures. Familiars and Companions are not figures. Props and treasures are not figures. Threat and Conquest Tokens are not figures.

Now I see.The figure represent hero&monster in Descent:JITD.Right?

pusapapa said:

Corbon said:

Now I see.The figure represent hero&monster in Descent:JITD.Right?

Both heroes and monsters are described as figures, so yes, that is partially right. While a hero or monster is being represented by a plastic figure, it is a 'figure'.
DJitD pg4
The plastic figures included with Descent: Journeys in the Dark represent the heroes and monsters in the game.

But anything else that is described as a figure is also a figure.
FAQ pg15
...(Villagers are figures, not map elements.)
Villagers are cardboard tokens from an expansion, but because they are described as figures, all rules for fgures affect them even though they are just tokens.
RtL pg32
Exit pieces are outdoor map pieces with special rules allowing hero figures and some enemy figures – lieutenants, for example
Because a Lt is given an example of a figure, it counts as a figure even though Lts are usually represented by tokens.

Thank for all replies.