Bearded Brave banner stickers not so sticky?

By Maroszek, in Battlelore

Quick question for you guys. I recently picked up Bearded Brave (yay!) but to my dismay I noticed that the the stickers don't stay stuck on the little plastic flags. My question is this, what do you guys do in this case? Is there a certain glue that works good to keep these on?

I'd hit up customer service, but if there's a fix I can do to correct this, I'd rather just do it. Definitley not knocking FF customer service, they ROCK (imho). I've only had to contact them like 2 times (once for Runewars that out of the box had damaged mountains, once for MEQ funky miniatures), both times they were fast and awesome to deal with. For something like this though I'd rather just glue it, but I thought I'd see if you guys had a preferred glue that isn't too messy with the stickers.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Yes, I've encountered this same problem. It is quite frustrating considering the price of the FFG expansions and the important role banners play in the game. As such an important element, you'd think FFG would develop a quality gamepiece. I bought Horiffic Hoardes and I placed the banner stickers the same day I got the expansion. I played a game using Horiffic Hoardes that weekend, and most of the stickers were peeling off. I had to put the game aside to glue the banners into place. I have a BattleLore basic set and Scottish Wars Expansion when they were produced by Days of Wonder, and this was never an issue with the Days of Wonder products I puschased. I am also pleased with my customer service experience with FFG. However, I think they may be starting to produce a sub-standard product in terms of game pieces in the interests of cost cutting.

As to glueing the banners...I used simple crazy glue (sometimes referred to as super glue). I used the small, triangle shaped bottle with the thin head where the glue comes out. I just peeled the banner back a bit and I placed the glue onto the plastic standard piece. I then used a toothpick to push the banner back down onto the plastic. Sometimes when you push the banner onto the glue, some glue may seep around the side depending on how much glue you put on the plastic. This is no big deal because once the glue dries, it is transparent and you don't notice it. However, if you touch this during the drying process, you will find the banner stuck to your hand, and this can mess-up your banner when you remove it. Therefore, be very careful when glueing the banners in this way. This is why I used a toothpick.

I would hope FFG would release banner packs for BattleLore like they did for Battles of Westeros, but I don't think this is likely. Someone on these forums (in another thread) mentioned making you own stickers. I know you can buy sticker sheets for your printer, but does anyone know of a template or something where you can print out stickers in the shape and size of the BattleLore standards and pennants?

I haven't had a problem with entire banners coming off, but sometimes a corner or edge will. Like Interceptor, I also use a little super glue (I apply a dab with a toothpick or the edge of my x-acto knife). I don't use very much, so I simply press it down with my finger (I only have 3 banners stuck to my hand at the moment ;) ).

Of course, I paint my minis, so I follow this with painting the banner pole and then sealing the entire thing.

I would suggest that because you are applying them directly to the grey plastic, then it could be more mold release residue on the plastic than the quality of the stickers.

If you aren't going to paint them, I'd give them a wash with warm soapy water and an old toothbrush, then rinse them with warm to hot water, then allow to dry. Only then apply the stickers. You shouldn't have any problems then.

My stickers have all stuck on very well, but then I've washed and painted mine also.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,
Ben. :)

I'll try the crazy glue suggestioncan't hurt at this point. It should be noted that this is only with the Bearded Brave packnone of the other ones have much of an issue with the exception of the corners coming up once in a while. I am lucky enough to have all the Battlelore products except the 100 Year War (here's hoping they reprint that one!), this is only with the Bearded Brave.

The Bearded Brave pack actually has the stickers come completely off when I store them. It's really odd, I'll try the washing first then crazy glue these back on.

Thanks again for the suggestions everyone!

I use the 'glue sticks' that are often used in class rooms. Just a small amount..smeared evenly..and the sticker stays put.

I may try the glue stick first. I've been holding off due to being really REALLY busy...and leery of glueing the stickers to myself. happy.gif

I may end up doing like one of each, but at least I have a good starting spotthanks everyone!

I ended up using Elmer's glue as I was just too afraid of glueing the stickers/banner posts to myself.

I liked the glue stick idea and was rumaging around for one in our kids stuff when my wife informed me we have none, but we did have Elmer's glue.

On a (weird) sidenote. It was ONLY the Bearded Brave and ONLY one side of all the banner post thingies. So...I'm not sure if something got on there from the factory or not, I've never seen that with my other BL stuff. Needless to say I'm a happy camper now though.

I recently purchased BOW Core set and the Baratheon expansion and I have minor peeling on a few flags. The Baratheon expansion was released August 2012 so I can safely say that FFG has done nothing to address this issue.