Episode 4 is finally on its way

By Tibs, in Doom

Okay. First I have to apologize. I said there would be an Episode 4, but wouldn't you know: I made sure to complete every other game project I had before re-opening work on Ep 4. Mostly, I've lost motivation because all my Doom players moved away and now nobody's banging on the door demanding the next scenario.

But, I just wanted to come on and let you know that I'm working on it. You might be pleased to know that most of the scenarios are designed, and most of those already have full text—I just have to patch up the gaps and assemble the whole thing. Of course, you may then be pissed when you discover that I've been sitting on most of these scenarios since 2006.

So as compensation for my astronomical procrastination, I thought I'd give you guys the first two scenarios in the episode. Aside from my old gamer group, only Knuckles Eki has seen scenario 16. Nobody except my group has seen 17.

Scenario 16: Hell on Earth (click to enlarge)
Scenario 16

Scenario 17: Praesidium (click to enlarge)
Scenario 17

As you may have noticed, Scenario 17 ends with the marines choosing where to go next. Episode 4's big gimmick is that the scenario paths branch. The entire Doom story will have four possible endings. It is a 5-scenario episode, but the episode book will have 12 scenarios, which includes 2 mutually-exclusive "secret" scenarios. And keeping with Episode 3, the secret scenarios will contain unique items: one will have the Grabber Gun and one will have the Super Shotgun.

I don't think I'll post any more scenarios until they're all done, and I'll be working towards that in the next few weeks. But classes have just started back up for me too, so I'll only invest as much time as I'm able.

After Ep4 is done, I might complete my "no-invader" decks (where the marines can simulate an invader player without actually needing one), and I have a couple other very small ideas.

Let me know what you think.

—Tibs

First impressions, love what I'm seeing. I love seeing new mechanics and creatures (Sentry and Archvile Lord), and I may have to borrow some. A huge starting area on #17, looks like fun. I also like the look & feel of the images. What editor are you using for your maps? It doesn't look like TileSystem.

Keep it up! Can't wait to see more :)

-shnar

Thanks shnar! I first heard about your plans for Advanced Campaign and I'm quite interested.

I'm using the same editor I used to make scenarios back in '04—Adobe Illustrator. Back then there were no editors, and eventually one came along but it didn't look so good. I don't know what there is nowadays but I'm going to stick with what I'm used to.

Unfortunately, this kind of design is much more suited to InDesign, but I wasn't familiar with it back then.

Tibs, great news! Some fresh air for the Doom-addicted community ::smiling:: Anyway, the first two scenarios look great! I really like the idea of different paths to follow to go through the whole campaign, it adds a more realistic mood to the game, and it adds a high replay value to the game.

Can't wait to see the final product!

(even if I must confess I'm still playing base game scenarios... I usually play the Invader part, and at the moment the guys I play with have never been able to beat me... After 10 tries of Knee deep in the Hell, we moved to the second one. 4 tries, and still zero missions completed. Ugh. It will be a long road to finish the first campaign ::laughing: :)

A legend returns!

I'm very excited about this news, Tibs. Welcome back to Hell =)

Yo, new player here... these look excellent Tibs! Where can I get the previous 15? :)

Never mind, found your ep3 on bgg and realised they are numbered to run after the original and expansion books. Great stuff, thanks!

My group can't even beat episode 3, wonder how they'll fare on these 2.

Looking forward to this. I am beyond fashionably late at getting this game. I just picked up Doom: the boardgame, and Doom: the expansion both new and unopened. I originally passed when this game first came out figuring it was a cheap cash grab board game. Little did I know that it was actually very well developed. Thanks to BGG I hunted down the game thanks to some reviews and overviews of the mechanics.

Anyways, I am collecting some scenarios and such and I must say yours seems to go the direction I would like things to go, and feels very official for me. I will be watching for your completed updates. Thanks.

Late to this party... but, did Tibs ever complete Episode 4?

I don't recall seeing anything on BGG (which is where I presume he'll post the PDF files when he's done). As he said, Doom isn't a high priority since he doesn't have any players anymore (I know that feeling). You might want to send him a GeekMail over on BGG and ask him?

-shnar

Last time I heard from him via e-mail, he said that he didn't make any progress with it. Basically because of no time for this (and also because of the absence of proper stimuli)

Anyway, probably BGG is the best way to talk about this, I don't know how many people come here regularly and check for new posts

Yeah, it seems like I stop in every other month or so just to see if there's *any* activity. BGG at least has some activity…

-shnar

Hi Tibs!

Where can I find your 15 first episode on BGG? Can't find it!!!

Thanks!