Command Ability

By Ninjaman65, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

So my question is in regards to the Command Ability. It affects any enemies within 3 squares of the one with the ability, in our case a Master Beastman.

A Master Beastman with the Command ability essentially has a 7x7 square area around him that any enemy within it gets the bonus. Does this work around corners and such like the breath template? Or does the Master Beastman have to have line of sight to his minion (who is within 3 squares) to grant the Command ability?

A more obscure way of asking the question is: Does the ability "hop" over blank spaces (where the board ends and table is exposed)?

Command is quite simple. Count 3 squares from the beastman and you have it. Command even goes through staircases and doors as the faq suggests. But not walls and ofcourse not blank spaces since they are spaces to begin with.

Drglord said:

Command is quite simple. Count 3 squares from the beastman and you have it. Command even goes through staircases and doors as the faq suggests.

That doesn't answer the question. And actually, the FAQ (p.8) specifically says that Command does NOT go through staircases:

" Q: Do the effects of abilities such as Aura, Spiritwalker, Command, and Kirga's hero ability (from Altar of Despair) extend through staircases?
A: Only non-area of effect attacks may go through staircases."

To answer the original question, yes, it works exactly like the Breath template, also as per the FAQ (p.7-8):

" Q: Can abilities with a radius that don't require Line of Sight (Command, Word of Vaal, Spiritwalker, Kirga's hero ability from Altar of Despair, etc.) go through walls and/ or doors? When checking the distance for these abilities, must the target space or figure be reachable by moving a number spaces less than or equal to the radius, or do these abilities work like the Breath example (fly to anywhere within a template, in this case a square of edge length 2xradius + 1 centered on the figure)?
A: Abilities, not attacks, with a radius may go through doors, but not through walls. These abilities work like the Breath example . Note that attacks cannot go through closed doors."

hmm weird about the staircases as i understood it wrong then the first i thought it was referring only to attacks. Anyway i stand corrected about that.

Antistone said:

Drglord said:

Command is quite simple. Count 3 squares from the beastman and you have it. Command even goes through staircases and doors as the faq suggests.

That doesn't answer the question. And actually, the FAQ (p.8) specifically says that Command does NOT go through staircases:

" Q: Do the effects of abilities such as Aura, Spiritwalker, Command, and Kirga's hero ability (from Altar of Despair) extend through staircases?
A: Only non-area of effect attacks may go through staircases."

To answer the original question, yes, it works exactly like the Breath template, also as per the FAQ (p.7-8):

" Q: Can abilities with a radius that don't require Line of Sight (Command, Word of Vaal, Spiritwalker, Kirga's hero ability from Altar of Despair, etc.) go through walls and/ or doors? When checking the distance for these abilities, must the target space or figure be reachable by moving a number spaces less than or equal to the radius, or do these abilities work like the Breath example (fly to anywhere within a template, in this case a square of edge length 2xradius + 1 centered on the figure)?
A: Abilities, not attacks, with a radius may go through doors, but not through walls. These abilities work like the Breath example . Note that attacks cannot go through closed doors."

Ah, thank you. I looked through the FAQ but couldn't find anything. Guess I didn't look hard enough. Thank you both for the responses.