Feat cards timing

By Drglord, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Alot of the feat cards can produce weird results and i wanted to know how you deal with them. Let's take skulk. You get ghost when the OL declares an attack against you. Let's say it was a beastman. He can no longer attack you does that mean he can change targets afterwards and not expend his attack or he has already done so by declaring an attack. The real question is do feat cards are the equivelant of a guard option? Since if it was a guard interrupt let's say from talhia the OL can change his attack or anything else since he was interrupted. Do feats interrupt him in the same way?

There is no indication that Skulk works similar to Guard.

Remember, the beastman attacked the space with the hero in the first place, not the hero itself. So, if the hero suddenly is a Ghost, the beastman still attacks that space, but it doesn´t do any harm to the hero.

I know that the wording for Ghost is "the figure cannot be attacked" - but this may not be taken too literally (since figures are never attacked directly). Look for example at Shadowcloak - the wording is "the figure cannot be harmed", if memory serves. This means the space still can be attacked.

Drglord said:

Alot of the feat cards can produce weird results and i wanted to know how you deal with them. Let's take skulk. You get ghost when the OL declares an attack against you. Let's say it was a beastman. He can no longer attack you does that mean he can change targets afterwards and not expend his attack or he has already done so by declaring an attack. The real question is do feat cards are the equivelant of a guard option? Since if it was a guard interrupt let's say from talhia the OL can change his attack or anything else since he was interrupted. Do feats interrupt him in the same way?

No.
A guard interrupt happens between discreet points on the OL's turn. Once a 'sub-action' is begun (attack, moving a space, playing a card) it must be completed before the guard can happen. The 'wind back' for a guard only represents the fact that each discrete subaction often goes very fast and several run together. So the hero will often (usually) 'miss' his correct timing to interject his guard action. SO when a hero guard happens before a monster attacks, the correct timing is actually before the monster declared his attack, so that is when the windback goes to. Since the (monster) attack hasn't actually been officially declared yet and the Guard order resolving will change the situation, the OL is not forced to make the same attack declaration he made before.

Feats however, have specific triggers that are often 'mid-sub-action' - eg 'play after an attack is declared'. In this case the sub action has already started and must be completed even after the feat is resolved.
In the case of Skulk when a Beastman has declared an attack, the Beastman still attacks the hero afterwards but his attack simply cannot affect the hero as per Ghost rules. Well played hero!

I see Corbon's making up new words to make his intuitions sound formal again.

There are lots of games where the rules say the game is not about speed and so you're required to back up and let an opponent do something IF you proceed too fast for them to do it at the appropriate time. But a Guard order in Descent explicitly allows you to wait until the overlord declares an action, and then pre-empt that action, no matter how much time he gave you to react before he declared it. The "rewind" has nothing to do with the speed of gameplay, it's actually a special power of Guard orders.

But Guard orders are importantly different from feat cards in that feat cards have a triggering condition they are played in response to, so they happen when that triggering condition occurs, immediately "before" or "after" it, as written on the card. Or at least, they darn well should , but in some cases that obviously doesn't work , because the Descent writers suck at rules precision. So we get to make wild guesses and house rules instead.

At one point, I suggested the only way to get these issues formally resolved was probably to spend a lot of time carefully compiling a gigantic enumerated list so FFG could give a separate and explicit answer to each one (since previous attempts to get them to make useful generic rules have been marked failures), but I've lost confidence in the FAQ rewrite project and am no longer following it, so that's probably not happening and wouldn't necessarily produce helpful results even if it did.

You could always use my homebrew feats .

I tottaly agree with antistone on this one.

1st Corbon seems to be making rules as he sees fit. Guard was never about being too speedy to react or something like that. Guard clearly changes the action before doing it. If i play a dark charm and someone uses a guard (like tahlia moving away) i can then choose to change my target or even not play the card at all. There is no speed factor in that or things happening fast it is just that as a PLAYER i saw the move by the OL played my guard and he AFTERWARDS changed his decision about something he HAD DECLARED to do and no longer obligated to do since i interrupted his action.

2nd Faq clearly will never work as no one seems to be interested in that from FFG and has been ages since someone did.

Anyway thanks for the answers about the feats happy to know how exactly they should work. Even though if they did work as guard they would lose their power since i could not target that player and it would be kinda stupid to even have them.

Antistone said:

I see Corbon's making up new words to make his intuitions sound formal again.

Please feel free to coin your own term that we can all use (it would be more helpful than snide personal comments). The one used in the FAQ answer in question is confusing because the word used, action, already has a different meaning from how it is being used in this case.

A: Guard orders can interrupt the overlord at any time. However, each action should be resolved in its entirety once it’s been begun. (For example, although you can interrupt the overlord if he declares an attack, if you choose not to the attack is resolved in its entirety before you have another chance to use your Guard order.

An attack is not an action. Neither is moving into a new space, etc. Battle, Ready, Advance and Run are actions. Pretty much nothing that a Guard can interrupt is an action.

I didn't make up any rules. I did provide (make up) an explanation , that precisely fits what the rules cause to happen.