SoAK: Adventuring Kit Question

By JCHendee, in Runebound

We've run into a bit of confusion and we're unable to resolve it.

The A.K. token specifically mentions the Story Step. Does that mean the A.K. is only usable in Skill rolls during challenges or something having to do with a story die? The latter seems pointless.

The summary sheet does not mention the Story Step, so seems to imply an A.K. can be used for a Skill roll at any time, including in completing a Legendary Quest... or is completing a Quest (like drawing one) part of the Story Step? That seems more useful, but is it correct?

On the latter, if completing a Quest is part of the Story Step, that seems to imply completing a quest comes before the Experience phase of turn... yes? So if someone has gained enough exp. during a Challenge to bump up, it doesn't get to do so until after completing a Quest it is ready to complete? There are situations where completing a Quest involves facing a Challenge, so the possibility of bumping up and completing a quest do happen.

I sent in a question about this around November/December, never heard back from FFG sad.gif . AK and Ambush on the Story die, immediate or "immediate" were the Qs I sent in.

So far I've played it as Story step only, so can't use it on Challenges if taking an Adventure Step, just for LQ tests basically.

Interesting, since upon entrance here this evening I got some interruption pop up about the forums not being a place to ask for rules clarifications. And I wasn't asking FFG but rather what anyone else around here thought. But thanks, Dam. That's about what we guessed, though it makes the A.K. less valuable.

JCHendee said:

Interesting, since upon entrance here this evening I got some interruption pop up about the forums not being a place to ask for rules clarifications. And I wasn't asking FFG but rather what anyone else around here thought. But thanks, Dam. That's about what we guessed, though it makes the A.K. less valuable.

Yeah, I saw that notice, too. I thought it was a bit odd, but I also got the distinct impression it was aimed at the Descent forums in particular. =P

I think they were just trying to emphasize that the forums are populated by fans, not by FFG officials, so you shouldn't take what gets said around here as the Word of God.

Ah, I see, though very few people would interpret it your way, Steve. Most of us don't get around to that many subforums to make such connections. Not an efficient approach, if you're right.

Hi,

i got the german version of SoAK. The token mentions "story step". The rulebook states "can be used after making an attribute test". We like to play it the way the rulebook describes it. We use the ability when we like...not only in the story step.

Yeah, that "after skill test" thing was what threw me and mine. It may be that we'll continue playing it that way. Without that, Adventuring Gear almost never gets used. Logically, the only time I can see not being reasonable to use is in being attacked during a Challenge.

Other than that, so far, SoAK has turned out to be the best balanced game/expansion we've ever played. Sits well between the simplicity of monster bashing to just bashing and ultimate monster and something more strategic and tactical in a longer playing game/expansion. Very good middle ground play. But next up for us will be trying out Island of Dread.