Whispers in the Night (Project)

By Tadask Nezerull, in Descent Home Brews

I'm currently working on a homebrew project (Which I'll be releasing some spoiler for soon), and I'm trying to find an updated card creation program for it, preferably one that allows Advanced Campaign cards...

If you can find a suitable "blank" dungeon card, you can make the map in Tile System and export it as a jpg, then crop off the white background and put the map on the card background.

Yeah, that should work for dungeon cards :3

So, I've gotten started on my project, and I've got some spoilers for people...

Introducing the first Villain. At the beginning of the game, the Overlord chooses a Villain, which functions as their will on the mortal realm. Villains function similarly to Lieutenants in RtL and SoB, except that they are figures of extreme power. Villains purchase equipment just as Heroes do, from their personal reserves of gold which is earned from razed cities and from certain locations. A Villain may equip two hands worth of weapons or shields, one Armor, two Other items, five Potions, and may carry up to ten items. When a Villain is defeated by the players, and equipment they had is given to the players, and the Villain returns to the Overlord's Keep and must recover before they can continue attempting to conquer the land.

PossessedAkiatothVillain.jpg

Akiatoth was once a humble priest, but when the overlord possessed him, he began to take a dark twist down the road to evil, taking his entire priesthood with him. Akiatoth is a powerful melee combatant with a great deal of magical prowess as well. Akiatoth is difficult to keep down, and is a fast, hearty opponent. Akiatoth's minions are Heretics, Hellhounds, Fire Spirits, and Demons.

Heretic.jpg

Heretic2.jpg

Heretics are Akiatoth's footsoldiers, fanatics of his dark cause, willing to lay their lives down for their master. The masses are composed of cannibalistic zealots, whose pain only brings them greater power. The high priests constantly produce power for their master, stealing it from those they strike in combat. Heretics are tough, and difficult to take down, but are comparable to Beastmen.

FireSpirit.jpg

FireSpirit2.jpg

Fire Spirits are dangerous creatures, conjured directly from the outer planes. Fire Spirits are weak creatures that can deal great amounts of damage in single bursts. While not terribly tough, Fire Spirits make great ambush combatants, and are mobile in addition to having great range.

Aaaand the associated Spawn cards for the Heretic and Fire Spirit.

CultistCircle.jpg

AkiatothsCult.jpg

FlameSprites.jpg

PyreNode.jpg

Each Villain will also have one General and four Lieutenants to choose from, as well as the generic lieutenants. Generals act similarly to the Villain themselves, and Lieutenants act similarly to a party of Anti-Heroes.

I am accepting suggestions for additional Villains. This one was generated using Anti-Stone's hero generator, with a score of 507 BP. If you have a cool idea, feel free to donate :3

1) If this is a AC project why are you using vanilla card templates?

2) Fire Spirits are pointless because heroes kill almost everything in one turn anyway (and most often in one shot too), so you have something that is only arguably more fragile than any other monster, can deal ridiculous damage and spawns en-mass.

3) Your villain is only arguably more powerful than a lieutenant, certainly he does not have enough Wounds or Armour to not get killed in one round. He also has only a tiny damage advantage over lieutenants too, and even that is arguable since you need to outfit him too.

1) I'm going to be using a modified version of the Hero cards later for Villains, for now these will have to do. Also, there's no easy way to edit the AC cards, or to make your own, at least not without complex digital graphics programs (Photoshop. Okay, so not so complex, just out of my budget).

2) Fire Spirits are meant to be used in tandem with another planned card (Ambush), or used as bombs of sorts. Heavy hitting, but only likely to get one hit off.

3) Those are the base stats for the Villain. As with RtL and SoB there will be upgrade cards which make him more powerful (though not quite as drastically at a time). The Villain will be able to train, equip themselves, and gain upgrades, eventually being on par with the Avatars of RtL, without being overly powerful early on (Since you can use them similarly to Lieutenants). As it is, the base stats (At least to me) look beatable by a group of heroes with little to no gear (As it should be). Tough, but beatable.

Also, if anyone knows of a program that allows you to create your own AC cards, I'd love a chance at it. As it is, that's the major roadblock for this project. Even a blank template would be helpful.

You could ask Acolyte Rivan for a blank AC card, he created quite a few for the Order of Kellos expansion.

As for the villains: If they have and use skills like the heros, do they "block" the starting skills they have drawn for the heros, i.e. these are not available for the heros? Which side does draw the skills first? Or will you create unique Villain skills, so that there won´t be any interference?

Just a side note: The followers of the Villain are called Heretics on the monster cards and Cultists on the spawn cards. Consistency...

Ah, I'll have to ask him about them, thanks.

As for the skill cards, the Villains will be asked to draw first, then to write down the results and shuffle their skills back in, mostly because the villains have so many skills. I may, depending on how that goes in Play-Testing, design an entirely new set of skills for the Villains.

Also, thanks for catching that. They originally were going to be called Cultists. I'll fix that, though I'm probably not going to upload the fixed versions just yet.