Named giants blocking the corridor - Quest 2 (Base Game)

By Ze Armoured Sheep2, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Hi, we were playing Quest 2 as two players. I was playing the heroes.

You start in a room with four doors, two of which are rune doors and the other two are normal. Behind both normal doors one of Narthak's brothers are waiting for you. We had the problem where the Overlord player knew that the heroes must get in the giants' rooms to retrieve the runes for the rune doors and to obtain treasures (to improve the heroes). These named giants are almost impossible to kill this early in the game and there are also no treasures to be found in the starting area. These giants can then block each long corridor to their runes that will lead to a certain defeat for the heroes.

Is there anyway to prevent this from happening? I suggested a rule that states that Narthak's brothers MUST move in the direction of a hero. Please help.

Ze Armoured Sheep said:

Hi, we were playing Quest 2 as two players. I was playing the heroes.

You start in a room with four doors, two of which are rune doors and the other two are normal. Behind both normal doors one of Narthak's brothers are waiting for you. We had the problem where the Overlord player knew that the heroes must get in the giants' rooms to retrieve the runes for the rune doors and to obtain treasures (to improve the heroes). These named giants are almost impossible to kill this early in the game and there are also no treasures to be found in the starting area. These giants can then block each long corridor to their runes that will lead to a certain defeat for the heroes.

Is there anyway to prevent this from happening? I suggested a rule that states that Narthak's brothers MUST move in the direction of a hero. Please help.

haha!! hell no!!

anyway .. do not open both doors at the same time, and play with 4 heroes, like everybody keeps repeating. base games are meant to be played with four heroes.

first two levels are so easy OL needs every little edge they can get

Don't laugh at me... hehe

I'm quite new to this game, my sister bought it a week ago and we only got around to playing it on the weekend. We were starting to notice the fact that we should add heroes, because the heroes kept losing. I saw that the attributes of monsters only slightly increases as more players (heroes) are playing, while when the amount of heroes increases they have the benefit of making more attacks and they also increase the targets for the overlord player. Thus the overlord will definitely have a harder time, especially since he can't only focus on one or two heroes.

We'll definitely increase the amount of heroes, thank you! :)

The number of heroes definitely affects the difficulty.

But the main issue here is that that particular quest is designed to force the heroes to learn a specific lesson in strategy. A drawn-out fight against one of the giant brothers using shop weapons is certainly less disastrous if you're playing with 4 heroes, but it's still something you should prefer to avoid.

There's a skill, I think it's Acrobat. Lets heroes move through monsters, so your runner could run in and grab the chest, activate glyph, etc.

winknugget said:

There's a skill, I think it's Acrobat. Lets heroes move through monsters, so your runner could run in and grab the chest, activate glyph, etc.

...but since skills are drawn at random, there's no guarantee you'll get the one you want, and you'll typically need to find a way to finish the quest without it. Which is completely doable.

The strategy is RUN. Take the run action, spend fatique, drink a potion,... and get the cool weapons for your team. Don't let yourself get blocked repeatingly in the corridor. Of course acrobat or the Runewitch help tremendously here as well.

kilrah said:

The strategy is RUN. Take the run action, spend fatique, drink a potion,... and get the cool weapons for your team. Don't let yourself get blocked repeatingly in the corridor. Of course acrobat or the Runewitch help tremendously here as well.

Exactly. After some tests with ideal strategy I have found that at least first five quests are playable in just two random heroes with random skills (but no fails are accepted) but the second one is really easy. Just run - if you will take the RUN action, then use all but one fatigues to move, drink a vitality potion, then spend everything again, you will have total speed about 15 quarters per turn. It's enough to run around the giant, activate the portal and escape to the town immediately after you open the door...

As a training puzzle try to figure in how many turn the heroes could get both giant hearts... you would be surprise to know that they can manage a try at both heart by end of turn 3. And have the one that require no killing monster by end of turn 2.

Getting equiped in gold weapon by turn 2-3 mean they just have to mince meat the 2 giants.