Overworld movement, RtL

By Arancil, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Hello,

Me and my group are currently running our first RtL campaign and have discussed how movement works on the map.

Q: When the Hero part moves, do they move 1 'step', or choose a location, move all the way there (checking all encounters along the way)?

I argue the former case, and assume Lieutenants move the same way (thus meaning they are unable to just pop up in any city of their liking instantly), but while the only movement example we find is an example moving 1 'step', we've found no explicit ruling on the matter.

Arancil said:

Hello,

Me and my group are currently running our first RtL campaign and have discussed how movement works on the map.

Q: When the Hero part moves, do they move 1 'step', or choose a location, move all the way there (checking all encounters along the way)?

I argue the former case, and assume Lieutenants move the same way (thus meaning they are unable to just pop up in any city of their liking instantly), but while the only movement example we find is an example moving 1 'step', we've found no explicit ruling on the matter.

RtL pg10
Move Action
When moving, the party moves the hero party marker from its current location on the Terrinoth map, along one trail , to a new location

RtL pg10
Lieutenant Orders
The overlord may issue one order to each of his lieutenants per game week. Each order may be to either move or besiege a city.
• Move: When moving, a lieutenant moves its marker from its current location, along one trail (of any type), to a new location

RtL pg5
Traveling Across Terrinoth
Heroes and lieutenants move between the dungeons and cities of Terrinoth by way of trails. There are normal, water, and secret trails. The party begins with the ability to travel along normal trails, but must purchase the “Magic Boat” card to travel on water trails, and the “Kerak’s Map” card to travel along secret trails. When the party moves along a trail, it must check for encounters. Lieutenants, conversely, can always move along all three types of trails, and never need to check for encounters.

Check also the map for trail definitions.
One trail is the connection between two (adjacent) locations and has a shield symbol (almost always) on it to define it's 'danger level'.

So the answer is, one step.

Ah, the answer was hiding in plain sight, then.

Thank you!