Looking for official answers

By EnLiterSaftevand, in Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game

Im looking for official rules on the subjects below. The questions (or some of) have been stated before, but i have found no official answers. Im quite comfortable with houseruling, but that is not what im looking for here. I hope you might point me to FAQ, Errata, rules og statements from officials.

1) Is there a limit to how many Cultural event cards a player can play per round? (per phase?)
2) Is the strength of newly created units a secret for the building player, or is it legal for the building player to see the card before it is placed in the standing forces pile.
3) The rules state that battle abilities should be used 'before or after attacking an enemy front', but states no order the resolving of the abilities, in case both parties use them. Anyone seen any rules about this?
4) I am having difficulties understanding the concept 'canceling'. Is it defined somewhere?
a) When using the Strategic power of Writing to cancel a city action in the City Management phase, does the player get to choose another of the three actions, or are the city without action in this round?
b) Civil Service allows you to cancel a culturel event. When cancelled, will the eventcard be discarded, or is the targeted player merely unable to play the card this round (sort of connected to (1))

If you want official answers I would submit these through the Rules Questions link at the bottom of the main page...

EnLiterSaftevand said:

Im looking for official rules on the subjects below. The questions (or some of) have been stated before, but i have found no official answers. Im quite comfortable with houseruling, but that is not what im looking for here. I hope you might point me to FAQ, Errata, rules og statements from officials.

1) Is there a limit to how many Cultural event cards a player can play per round? (per phase?)
2) Is the strength of newly created units a secret for the building player, or is it legal for the building player to see the card before it is placed in the standing forces pile.
3) The rules state that battle abilities should be used 'before or after attacking an enemy front', but states no order the resolving of the abilities, in case both parties use them. Anyone seen any rules about this?
4) I am having difficulties understanding the concept 'canceling'. Is it defined somewhere?
a) When using the Strategic power of Writing to cancel a city action in the City Management phase, does the player get to choose another of the three actions, or are the city without action in this round?
b) Civil Service allows you to cancel a culturel event. When cancelled, will the eventcard be discarded, or is the targeted player merely unable to play the card this round (sort of connected to (1))

here's my answers ;)

1) No limit, if they happen to be "Start of Turn" phase cards, play them all, and then collect more during city management. Remember, you need to discard before picking up a new one.

2) You pick the unit at random. Try this, have another play fan out the unit cards of a particular deck and pick the one you want. Not one that was killed in battle since those will be reshuffled once the selection pile is empty.

3) Battle abilities based on researched tech is placed on the unit when placing that unit into battle. Not when you randomly picked your battle force or after the unit has already fought.

4)'canceling' is like an interrupt where you stop the player from completing their said action

5)Think of it as school's canceled today. You cannot go to another school since you are already attending that one. so that city has no action that turn.

6) Player X plays an event card to kill your figure, you cancel the event and the card is discarded.

Maarek said:

EnLiterSaftevand said:

here's my answers ;)

1) No limit, if they happen to be "Start of Turn" phase cards, play them all, and then collect more during city management. Remember, you need to discard before picking up a new one.

2) You pick the unit at random. Try this, have another play fan out the unit cards of a particular deck and pick the one you want. Not one that was killed in battle since those will be reshuffled once the selection pile is empty.

3) Battle abilities based on researched tech is placed on the unit when placing that unit into battle. Not when you randomly picked your battle force or after the unit has already fought.

4)'canceling' is like an interrupt where you stop the player from completing their said action

5)Think of it as school's canceled today. You cannot go to another school since you are already attending that one. so that city has no action that turn.

6) Player X plays an event card to kill your figure, you cancel the event and the card is discarded.

Regarding number 2: I think it is ok to view your standing forces at any time. But before a battle you need to shuffle your cards and you or another player must draw cards at random. I think it would not make a lot of sense to not being able to know what you have. You'll anyways know a few after your first battle and it would be irritating if you needed to remember instead of just being able to check between battles.

3: There is another thread about this. Please see that one. There was no consensus however. Some thought you should go by who shouted first and some thought the player being next in turn to play a card should go first.