Bladerunner and Cooperative Play

By pulsar3, in Android

I have to admit the only two things that draw me to this game is that its theme and the simple fact it is a cooperative. The components are unenchanting and parts of the rulebook could read better (I gave up on it when I realized I probably couldn't other people to read through it and play with me). So:

How much does is the gameplay reminiscent of Bladerunner (how much does it pull you into the story and theme?)

And how does this fundamentally differ from Arkham in its cooperative mechanics?

Pulsar said:

I have to admit the only two things that draw me to this game is that its theme and the simple fact it is a cooperative. The components are unenchanting and parts of the rulebook could read better (I gave up on it when I realized I probably couldn't other people to read through it and play with me). So:

How much does is the gameplay reminiscent of Bladerunner (how much does it pull you into the story and theme?)

And how does this fundamentally differ from Arkham in its cooperative mechanics?

It's not cooperative at all - it's completely competitive.

The theme of this game is very strongly reminiscent of Bladerunner. Very scifi-noir. Now, to be clear, I have heard it said many times when discussing this game; if you come to it expecting a 'mystery' element like Clue where the players must 'solve' the crime, then you WILL be disappointed. You have to come to it as an 'experience', from the theme point of view of a down and out detective, trying his best to 'pin' the crime on the suspect he believes is most guilty. This game is more like living a few weeks in the life of Deckard, dealing with all the personal problems, issues and hassles. I hope this describes it about right. Now, this game is in NO WAY cooperative, it is purely competitive, in that you are trying to build up the guilt of your suspect, and tear down the innocence of your opponents suspects.

I think this is a very very cool game that gets easily overlooked in the catalogue of Fantasy Flights other excellent games, but it's one that should definately NOT be missed. It is worth picking up.

What? Both clerks at the local game store told me it's cooperative. It's even sitting on the cooperative game shelf. Guess I'll go set them straight.

Still, after reading so many time's this is FFG's flagship broken game :) it's hard to get excited about it, even if I can pretend I'm the tormented Deckard.

Pulsar said:

What? Both clerks at the local game store told me it's cooperative. It's even sitting on the cooperative game shelf. Guess I'll go set them straight.

Still, after reading so many time's this is FFG's flagship broken game :) it's hard to get excited about it, even if I can pretend I'm the tormented Deckard.

If you go into this game wanting it to be something that it's not, disappointment will abound. However, if you play it as it was designed, it's quite fun. Please do go down to your FLGS and set those clerks straight. This is a competitive game. The only time that players cooperate is when two players try to decide which of the dark cards they hold will be the most painful to a particular player.

This game does not make it to the table nearly as much as other FFG titles, but fortunately, there are always 2 or 3 other people in my gaming group who are ready and willing to play.

...I think this is the primary reason so many folks became disappointed with this game. Folks came to it expecting acombination of 'Clue' and 'Blade Runner in a box," and when they find it's actually a *building* game, they lose heart.

Me, I still love it.

JDM

some times its up to a player to take a so-so game and make a few tweaks to take it to a new level .

That's right. It's a pure competitive game. And nothing to do with Blade Runner. Maybe atmosphere and probably part of the theme, but the experience of playing the game is not reminiscent of the film at all.