Wrangling for Storm Wardens instead of Space Wolves

By HappyDaze, in Deathwatch House Rules

After looking at the (limited) info we have for Sacris and the Storm Wardens, it's described as both a feudal world and a feral world. Further, the Storm Wardens' tactics are said to be based upon the use of steeds in battle from their homeworld. I'm wondering if the Wrangling set from the Space Wolves Chapter Advances isn't a better fit on the Storm Wardens list instead. Among the Space Wolves, I only know of a small minority that would really have any use for Wrangling, but it seems to be a part of the culture of Sacris.

Space Wolves are often ex-hunters and the like. And...they need all the help that they can get, mechanically!

Storm Wardens background makes little mention of animals. Not enough in my mind to give them more skills.

You seem to forget that the Space Wolves are the ones who go into battle alongside packs of wolves and riding giant wolves the size of rhinos. No other chapter uses packs of animals on the battlefield.

Why are the Space Wolf fanboys so opposed to the wrangling skill?

It lacks mechanical crunch?

just dont go there ! I already have my space wolf player asking for a fenris wolf

Wrangling, does anybody ever used that skill more than once ?

boruta666 said:

No, probably not. There are quite a few 'fluffy' skills that people take to fit their background and concept (like Carouse, many of the Performer skills, Survival, Swim, many of the Trade skills, and Wrangling) but that hardly ever get used in play. It might not be so bad if these 'fluffy' skills could be used untrained, but many of them can't (of what I listed, only Carouse and Swim are Basic skills).

HappyDaze said:

boruta666 said:

No, probably not. There are quite a few 'fluffy' skills that people take to fit their background and concept (like Carouse, many of the Performer skills, Survival, Swim, many of the Trade skills, and Wrangling) but that hardly ever get used in play. It might not be so bad if these 'fluffy' skills could be used untrained, but many of them can't (of what I listed, only Carouse and Swim are Basic skills).

Carouse actually irritates me more than wrangle. Really, you can drink beer really good as a space marine, I'd never have guessed. I've actually ben looking into adding additional or optioanl abilities under carouse to look at the more 'bar hopping' social aspect of the skill.

/derailment

Charmander said:

Carouse actually irritates me more than wrangle. Really, you can drink beer really good as a space marine, I'd never have guessed. I've actually ben looking into adding additional or optioanl abilities under carouse to look at the more 'bar hopping' social aspect of the skill.

/derailment

Drink ? u lost your mind brother Charmander ??? Space Wolves can swim in beer, dive in it, breath with it!!!

btw

in my game skills as artist, carouse, wrangling and such are free, u want them? explain me why u have it, and u have it. No exp cost.

boruta666 said:

Charmander said:

/derailment

Drink ? u lost your mind brother Charmander ??? Space Wolves can swim in beer, dive in it, breath with it!!!

btw

in my game skills as artist, carouse, wrangling and such are free, u want them? explain me why u have it, and u have it. No exp cost.

They need this skill to be able to drink their Fenrisian Ale without getting intoxicated. Because if they fail, the Ale will straight bypass their Oolitic Kidney.

Alex

ak-73 said:

btw

They need this skill to be able to drink their Fenrisian Ale without getting intoxicated. Because if they fail, the Ale will straight bypass their Oolitic Kidney.

Alex

Yeah, I get that they drink, was unaware of the Fenrinsian Ale bypassing the Kidney tho. From that perspective it makes a little more sense, but still, you need a whole skill so you can have one class of alcohol? I'd just like to see it beefed up somehow to represent more of a social skill in a given environment. Not quite a charm, not quite an inquiry, just...something better than 'okay you drank a beer, roll to see if you get drunk' kind of a skill.

ak-73 said:

Honestly, this is probably fairly close to the truth. The Mj o d they drink in Prospero Burns is described by one of the human characters as being more like aviation fuel than anything a normal human could drink.

http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/40k-army-fluff/103310-space-wolves-getting-drunk-3.html

So there you go. I would also have a look at DH's IHB. Also I would allow use of Carouse to either
- improve NPC's attitudes towards the PC or
- give a flat bonus to Charm, Deceive, Inquiry, etc. test (undecided which would be better)

if there's a common man's festivity (does not apply to high society events) and the player passes a Carouse test.

Alex

Charmander said:

ak-73 said:

btw

Alex

Yeah, I get that they drink, was unaware of the Fenrinsian Ale bypassing the Kidney tho. From that perspective it makes a little more sense, but still, you need a whole skill so you can have one class of alcohol? I'd just like to see it beefed up somehow to represent more of a social skill in a given environment. Not quite a charm, not quite an inquiry, just...something better than 'okay you drank a beer, roll to see if you get drunk' kind of a skill.

That's because it doesn't. They add some sort of herb to it when they drink it. The herb is what temporarily shuts down the Oolitic Kidney, not the ale itself.

ak-73 said:

http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/40k-army-fluff/103310-space-wolves-getting-drunk-3.html

So there you go. I would also have a look at DH's IHB. Also I would allow use of Carouse to either
- improve NPC's attitudes towards the PC or
- give a flat bonus to Charm, Deceive, Inquiry, etc. test (undecided which would be better)

if there's a common man's festivity (does not apply to high society events) and the player passes a Carouse test.

Alex

Now that I like

guys wait a bit...

Space wolves have skill that makes getting drunk harder ? should it be otherwise ?

boruta666 said:

guys wait a bit...

Space wolves have skill that makes getting drunk harder ? should it be otherwise ?

Think of it the other way around - they have the skill that allows them to keep drinking for longer...

Both wrangling and carousing are fine woth the Spacewolves and should remain there.
When I spent my starting skills, the first skills I chose where exactly those two.

And when I had 2 requesition points left on my first mission I used them to requesition some ale to celebrate the night before mission start.